Pain Management Community
pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pain

i've had pain in my right side for 8 months now. I am  unable to do heavy lifting and have been back and forward to dr. I recently had a chest xray which showed that the lungs were clear, however, it showed that the right diaphragm is sitting higher than it should. I'm now waiting for an appointment for an ultra sound. What could this mean?
Hi ealasaid:

Your guess is as good as mine. As you might have guessed, there are no Doctors in this forum, only members like me who suffer from Chronic Pain. I hope you find the answers you are looking for......

Molly
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you have found us but sorry to hear about your medical issue.

I am not a physician but I don't understand the term right diaphragm. The diaphragm is the large muscle that we use to help in breathing. It is located between the chest and abdomen. It is a dome-shaped and separates the thoracic from the abdominal cavity. Its peripheral part consists of muscular fibers. The muscular fibers may be grouped according to their origins into three parts—sternal, costal, and lumbar. Your test results may mean the right side of the diaphragm.

The most common disorder of the diaphragm is a hernia, called a hiatal hernia. I have been diagnosed with one and it is all gastric symptoms. So why the right side of yours is sitting higher than the left is a puzzle to me. Could it be that something is displacing it? Or could it be that you strained or injured it with all the lifting the abnormality is do to an injury. I'm sorry that I do not have better answers for you. In my years in the medical profession I can not recall a diaphragm issue similar to your nor can I locate anything in my www search.

There are other members that may have more information for you. I think an ultrasound is a good diagnostic tool in your case and will provide youwith valuable information. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be interested to learn the reason behind your pain. Good luck and take care, Tuck