Pain Management Community
painful head flashes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

painful head flashes

For 3 months, I have been experiencing flashes of pain, in my head, behind both ears that last a minute or so...sometimes, when I am lying down, they last longer.  Generally, only one side at a time.  Should  I see my doctor?
I occasionally get huge flashes of pain in my own head and am not sure what they are from.  They don't last long, thankfully.  I also have chronic migraines that hit from time to time.

Since this is something that started fairly recently and is new for you, it would be a good idea to see a neurologist for an evaluation.
It sounds to me like you could have a sensitive/over-active nerve called trigeminal neuralgia. It can be very painful. I would recommend seeing a neurologist bc they should be able to help.
Thanks for your suggestion. Seeing internist today, will request referral to neurologist.  Thanks again.
What did your doctor say?  Were able to get the referral to the neurologist, I hope?  

Follow-up re: Thank you for your accurate advice!

I saw my internist, who diagnosed my condition as being exactly what you suggested.  Generally the pain usually goes into the face at 3 different
areas, it does not with me.  He said it is usually goes away by itself.  Therefore, no referral to a neurologist. If is happens longer than 2 weeks and  extends onto my face, I was told to come back again for as possible test.  Thanks, again
I actually wasn't the one to suggest trigeminal neuralgia, as my understanding of that nerve pain is that it does involve the face (as your doctor mentioned).  

When I get huge bursts of pain in my head, it usually does come strongly and then goes away (thankfully).  

Since your pain is behind the ear- do you have any clicking, popping, etc. with your jaw?  Do you clench or grind your teeth?  TMJ problems can cause pain in the ear and the TMJ track of nerve goes up the sides of the head.  Not sure if the pain from TMJ problems extends behind the ears.