Pain Management Community
pinched nerve- burn and kill the nerve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

pinched nerve- burn and kill the nerve

hi , i have a pinched nerve in my neck .the pain is in my neck shoulder arm elbow and fingers.had the nerve cortisol blocker shots in my neck and after 2 rounds no help . the pain is getting worse,feels like its my bones. cant stand cold or air on the arm. my question is has anyone had there nerve burnt ?doctor wants to burn mine,i want to no if that helps or waste of time . the pain is getting really bad, ANY INFO  WOULD BE HELPFUL
My father had it done and we was discussing this very subject last night because I too am going to have it done. He says that it is the one thing that he has done that has provided relief. I will be having the procedure next week.
I hope this helps you, my Dad has had a lot done including surgery and this is the one thing that he says helps.

Good luck
thanks , my neour wants me to have sugery,but ive had enough sugerys. i have slipped disk in neck and its pinching the nerve.i dont want to have the sugery .im going to try to get the nerve burnt,how long is recovery and any loss of feeling ? docs wont give me anything for pain and this is my last hope. thanks again,brainpain
Every patient has different recoveries but my Dad had it done at an outpatient center and said side effects were nil. I would suggest that you speak to your Dr about this though, he can provide much more information and will be able to answer your questions much more thoroughly.
You should always consult with your Dr and ask these questions before any procedure so you will no exactly what lies ahead. I talked to my Dad but I also spoke to the Dr.
Every Dr does things differently and your Dr may do things a different way than others would so you really need to speak to him/her.
I hope you do benifit from the procedure if you do decide to do it and wish you good luck.
We hope to hear more from you.
Please do not have anything done before you consult DR about possibility of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.  The red flag is sensitivity to cold..... it is so important to get early dx and help with this condition!  Good Luck!
i have had the nerve  test  forgot name of test . the neddles in the nerves and shocks the nerve. well i went to doctor about a month latter for results , she lost them . i had bruises from wrist to shoulders. i had asked her about killing the nerve shr said she dident know about that. what is reflex sympathetic dystrophy? the cold does make it ache so bad, got to keep my arm wrapped up in blanket ,helps some with the pain. how is that treated? thanks brainpain
I actually just finished having the nerves in my neck burnt today. They do it in 2 settings. They did the left side 2 weeks ago and the right side today. But it seems like it has helped me esp. in the left side. I don't have the aches in my left side anymore. And it's supposed to help up to a year, that is if it takes. And it only hurts for a few minutes until they get it numbed. I have osteoarthritus and a degenerative spine disease and I'm only 26. The bones in my neck are not like a normal person's anymore, they are curving inward. But I will try anything that will help anymore to keep from being in so much pain. And I have tried the nerve blocks, they didn't really work so well. And the steroid shots didn't help at all. But this is the best alternative that I have found so far. I hope this is helpful. Take care, Candace.
Thanks Candace for sharing with us your experience with this procedure. This is an old thread and the poster may no longer be active.

Please feel free to begin a new question/informational post. We all learn from one another.

I hope your procedure will keep you comfortable for an extended period of time. I wish you the best of success.

Thanks Again,
~Tuck
Be careful about doing this.  Do some research.  I have nerve damage in my jaw and my doctors told me to LEAVE IT ALONE or it would all but guarenteed to be worse.  I agree with the comment about Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) made earlier in this message string.  I had a tooth pulled because of the damage to my nerve and my neuro told me to not even put an implant in (that won't even disturb the nerve) because any manipulation near that nerve could make it worse.  I am aware of others who have done surgeries, treatments and alot of them say their problem got worse.  One Oral Surgeon told me that he would guarantee me that even if it got better, it would be worse in a year and the situation he explained that I could end up with is RSD.

I suggest that you try a homeopathic ?? called Nerve Fix.  You can buy it online for about $16/bottle.  It has helped me more than some of the prescription drugs that I have taken and I have heard this same from friends of my family that also take it.  My nerve damage is severe and even after years of taking it, I still take 2 bottles/month.  I have stopped taking it a number of times thinking that it wasn't helping and before long, I was back on it.  You can buy it at vitacost.com.  Take 2 bottles worth before you decide if it helps...and personally I would do this before I let someone try to  do any of these procedures.  It isn't a miracle but as I"m sure you can appreciate, every little bit helps.
I had it done two months ago. It took 1 week to get relief and one month to get real relief.
It worked great. I was going to have a party and welcome me back to planet earth. It's been a long, hard road getting better...
But, I have noticed that is it creeping back. Where the burn too place is getting more sensitive and the area is expanding. I have to take sumatriptian twice a week.
Is there a nerve kill?

I HAVE NERVE DAMAGE IN MY NECK A HAVE HAD THE INJECTIONS  3 SETS AN THEY DID NOT HELP, I HAVE DEGENERATION AN NARROWING OF THE SPINE IN MY NECK PLUS PINCH NERVES .THE DOCTOR WANTS TO BURN THE NERVES IN MY NECK AN IN BETWEEN MY SHOULDER BLADE .I  CAN NOT HAVE STEROIDS ,THEY GIVE ME SHINGLES AN I CANT HANDLE THAT PAIN IT IS VERY PAINFUL PLUS YOU HAVE A BLISTERING RASH THAT COMES WITH IT. I AM 47 YRS OLD AN BEEN FIGHTING THIS PAIN SINCE 2009 I TAKE MEDS FOR THE PAIN AN RELAXERS AN IT HELPS A LITTLE  BUT I CANT WORK WITH THESE MEDS IN MY BODY. PLUS I HAVE TRIMMERS IN MY HEAD THAT MAKES THE PAIN WORSE WILL THE BURNING THE NERVES HELP AN FOR HOW LONG WITHOUT AN SIDE EFFECTS.   PLEASE HELP
If the sumatriptian is for migraines try botox. I have been using botox for migraines for awhile and they work great. I am going in for a nerve burn in 2 months to try for some pain releif. Both pain management and neurosurgeon both recomment it.