piriformus injection transvaginal
My daughter was told by her pain management Dr. that he would like to do a hip injection for pain. The muscle is called the "piriformus" she has limited mobility. She is sending her for a pelvic ultrasound to make sure everything is fine and is to return to her for a transvaginal injection.
I have never heard of this. I thought it would be directly into the hip,but she said no.
does anyone know anything more about this.
Hi Esplanade,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Community. I am sorry to hear about your daughter. She is very lucky yo have a concerned mother such as you.

There are some painful chronic syndromes associated with the Piriformis Muscle and there are several treatment options. Steroid injections can be into the hip area and/or trans-vaginal. Some physicians will inject both sites or select just one. It is determined by the patients condition and the preference of the treating physician.
The Piriformis muscle lies deep in the body cavity. The posterior vaginal wall rests very close to the muscle. The easiest and most effective way to inject this muscle is through the posterior vaginal wall which allows easy trans-vaginal injection. This is a fairly common treatment for painful Piriformis conditions.

I wish your daughter the best. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them. I am sorry I am a bit tardy with my response to your post. Please let us know how she is doing and take care. Tuck