possible drug seekers
I work at a dental office and several of my friends see the dr. i need some advice on how to handle some one who has had dental work done in the office but it has been about a month ago. he has aked the doc to call in pain meds. and now, 2 weeks after the called in script would like another script. I'm worried he may be addicted. does the DEA monitor scripts that are filled too soon? and can the office use that excuse to tell the patient so as not to offend them? the office does not usually call in pain meds but since it is a friend the dr. thought that it may be ok but now it's just becoming uncomfortable.
Hi there. I used to be a Dental Assistant, and ran into this very problem.  It was the exact same situation except the Dr. and patient were not friends, but when the patient requested more pain medication, the Dentist simply said " With the pain medication you were on previously, your liver has had to work hard, I think it's time to give your liver a break" I though that was a very proffessional way to handle the situation, without making the patient seem like a drug seeker, or feeling judged.

Maybe he could say something like that. It lets the patient know that his dentist is only looking out for his best interest.
I was also a dental asst and my Dad, Brother & Sister are all dentist.  I wouldnt say anything....
Let the Dr handle these situations
Hi Dentassist,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum.

I wasn't aware we had so many members with dental backgrounds on the forum. Good advice guys.

My two cents worth is for the patient. Is it possible that he/she is still having dental associated pain? Are we talking TMJ here or a simple filling? Is there possible nerve involvement?  My response would depend on those factors.

It may be time your patient came back to the dentist to have this continuing pain investigated or went on to an oral surgeon. TrayCee is correct that the dentists should hand this situation.

I assume the DEA watches everyone that has the authority to write narcotic prescriptions.

Peace,
Tuck