Pain Management Community
post knee replacement pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

post knee replacement pain

I am going into my 6th month since knee replacement.  My pain continues to be a problem.  I have been through 3 1/2 months of therapy but still did not have complete straightening ability or normal bending function.  I have been back to the Dr. and he isn't concerned.  He did recommend the "Elite Seat" to help straighten my leg.   I have used it for almost a most 3x daily, but has not seemed to make any difference.  My knee crunches "LOUDLY" whenever I get up from a sitting position and also hurts.

Basically, I have had very little relief from pain since surgery.  I started therapy again last week and a treatment for scar tissue.  I have asked the Doctor to sedate me and bend the knee, but he has not agreed to that yet.  He did not think it was necessary, but I am the one struggling to bend and straighten my leg.  But more than that it is a constant ache that never seems to let up.  It has me exhausted mentally and physically , as well as keeping me from sleeping.  I am desperate.  Any ideas?
Hello Phyllo,

A tardy Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I was off the forum yesterday and apologize that your post didn't get a timely response.

Almost every female in my family has had to have a TKR or will have to have one in time. "Bad Knees" run in our family. That said only one out of probably twenty ppl have had the results you are describing.  Knee replacements should not leave you with more pain the you had pre-surgery. You should be feeling better then you are now.

I encourage you to seek a second opinion. I suggest that you consult a surgeon that is not in any way associated with your current one. Physicians tend to "stick together" especially if they are associated in come way.

Chronic pain IS physically and emotionally draining. At the very least you deserve good pain control. If you are not getting this please ask for it, if need be ask for a referral to a PMP. Warm moist compresses may help ease your pain along with another round of PT. Again ask your surgeon of PCP about treatment possibilities. Be assertive, you are your best advocate.

Please keep in touch. The journey through chronic pain is challenging. We get it and are here when ever you need an ear or an opinion. :o)

We'll look forward to hearing from you again, best of luck.

Take Care,
~Tuck