Pain Management Community
post surgery leg and foot pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

post surgery leg and foot pain

In June of '08 my husband (45) had spinal fusion for spondylolisthesis . His surgery went well and he was home in 24 hour.  He has since been re-hospitalized to address the severe pain in his lower right leg and foot.  Tests include:  MRI, 2 ultrasounds to detect blood clots, film x-rays to see if all is in place and if foot could be broken, blood test to rule out gout.  He has had 2 rounds of steroids and takes percocet round the clock.  So far all tests are neg. but he continues to have numbness with severe shooting pains.  He describes it as a never-ending charlie horse and feeling as though the ball of his foot has a razor in it.  This portion of his leg is so sensitive to the touch he can barely put on a shoe or sock.  Needless to say we are at our wits ends.  We expected a long recovery with some residual numbness but this seems excessive.  Is this normal?
I am so sorry to hear about your husbands medical issues. Unfortunatly spinal fusion or similar surgeries can cause other issues such as you describe. His pain sounds like it is nerve related. Have they considered RSD. Does he experience changes of tempature in his leg?
I would seek a second opinion, or ask for a referral to a pain clinic. I certainly would look elsewhere for answers if your current medical providers are unable to do so. The longer you wait the more likely it is that his condition will be looked at as chronic. In my opinion & expereince the medical profession does less testing and searching for the "cause" once you have that label and they focus more on the treatment of CP.
Good luck to both of you. Hang in there and don't stop searching for answers.
Please keep us posted on his progress. Take Care of you too, Tuck
I agree with Tuck! My experiences with the Medical Professionals have been the same, more interested in treating my chronic LBP instead of trying to find the cause. I have had to INSIST on certain tests. My recent searches have given me a Diagnoses my doctors never mentioned.
Get a second or third opinion, insist on more testing. Where was his fusion? Scarring from the surgery could be affecting the nerve roots. There are many things that could be causing it and I wouldn't stop until I got answers.
The one thing we can do for ourselves when it comes to our health, is be very PROACTIVE.
Start asking for more testing and if need be, seek another Neuro consult. Best of luck in your search and I hope he can find some relief from the pain.
Warm regards, Cindy