Pain Management Community
scar tissue pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

scar tissue pain

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago and was cut open. I still have severe pain around scar and some numbness.
I was told it was scar tissue but it hurts with burning and twisting pain. What can be done. Is this normal?
Hi Jch,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you have found us but sorry to hear about your pain.

I too have scar tissue pain which is more commonly referred to as adhesions.The body produces connective tissue, adhesions and collagen, to replace the damaged compromised tissue from the result of an incision to the skin. Not all ppl develop extensive adhesions or they have minimal amounts develop rather than painful or problem producing adhesions/scar tissue.

My adhesions are extensive and cause numbness as you describe and limits the normal motion of my body. Mine also hurt and burn when I twist, turn or reach.

Plastic surgeons usually can reduce the scar tissue/adhesions through a procedure called Z-plasty. Several studies show that lysis (cutting, adhesiolysis) of adhedions provides some relief. There may be other terms or treatments but this is the best known to my knowledge. There is a consideration to having more surgery, if your body if prone to the production of painful adhesions another surgery may reproduce the same condition or results in time.

I suggest you request a consult with a plastic surgeon and explore your options. I have found nothing that eases the pain but to avoid the activity that makes them worse, though I admit that is very difficult. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

Best of luck to you. I hope you will let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your updates with great interest.

Take Care,
Tuck
Something I have learned is that ball rolling can help with adhesions.  Here is a link to a health page that addresses it and the movement would be adjusted to match where your adhesions are.  I have gotten some relief from a registered massage therapist skilled in myofascial release.  She can work to help relieve the pulling and pain.  Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I have tried both with no relief and obviously forgot to suggest that. However just because I did not obtain releif does not mean that others won't. My adhesion's are very massive and that is likely the reason nothing has been successful. It may indeed be beneficial for jch.

So thank you again for your input.

Tuck