Pain Management Community
severe back and groin pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

severe back and groin pain

i have extreme lower back and groin pain to the point that i get stuck in bed in the mornings and have problems turning over in the middle of the night i wake up crying it hurts so bad in my lower back. i also get shooting pains in my groin area and most of the time it feels as if someone has kicked me in the private area. any ideas as to what could be wrong. this has been going on for a few months and has just gotten worse instead of better. i have had a month or so off work but i havent gotten better but worse. please help!
Hi and welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am very sorry to hear about your back and groin pain.

I am not a physician. In my opinion hip and groin pain can often "go together." Often hip pain can present as groin pain, called referred pain. It is usually muscle related.

Sometimes when the back and hip are painful in unison it can also be related to pelvic balance. Muscles and ligament become strained. and in combination this can create your groin and lower back pain. But again I am not an expert.

If you have been off work I assume you have seen your PCP. Have you seen a D.O., Doctor of Osteopathy? Osteopathic medicine is one of the fastest growing health-care professions in the U.S. They are educated and trained just as an MD. However they receive extra training in the musculoskeletal system-your body's interconnected system of nerves, muscles and bones that make up two-thirds of your body mass. This training provides osteopathic physicians with a better understanding of the ways that an illness or injury in one part of your body can affect another.

Obviously I see a (Internal Medicine) DO, she is my PCP. If it were not for her osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) and care I would not function. She, as most DO's can is able to "feel" painful areas with just a touch. I have been seeing her for 5 years and her ability still amazes me. You may want to consider a consult with a DO. They usually can be found in any clinic. Not all DO's continue their skill in OMT, you may want to ask before you make the appointment.  

Don't give up. If your PCP is not helping your condition make another appt and discuss this with him/her. If he is not willing to find answers for you it may be time to look for another PCP.

Good luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing. We are here to support you. Take Care, Tuck