Pain Management Community
severe leg and foot cramps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

severe leg and foot cramps

Recently I have been getting severe leg and foot cramps, my doctor checked my potassium.. levels and they were good, she checked everything that could possibly cause leg cramps and the only thing that was out of whack was my liver enzyme's, I have been taking cholesterol medication for about 2 months, I also take Hydrocodone 10/325 and Tramadol 50mg daily.  I take 3 and 3.  I was told that if my liver enzyme's were not down by my next visit on 3/23 I would no longer be able to take the Hydrocodone nor the cholesterol medication.  My question is what alternatives to I have to replace the Hydrocodone10/325.  Please reply with any advice or suggestions.  Thank You.
Do you have hep C
Hi Drenee,

Welcome to the Pain Management forum.... where someone wisely moved your post. You are in the right place and we will try to help with suggestions.

There are multiple medications that do not include the "Tylenol" that makes up part of the Hydrocodone that you currently take. However this decision should be between you and your Physician. Opiates (narcotics) must be prescribed carefully when liver enzymes are elevated.

Much will depend on the cause and level of your pain as to what medication is right for you.... and more importantly your liver enzymes. I would assume your Physician already is contemplating alternatives.

I found this on one site: " Narcotic (opioid) analgesic agents are extensively metabolized by the liver, and several of them (e.g., codeine, hydrocodone, meperidine, methadone, morphine, propoxyphene) have active metabolites that are further converted to inactive substances....."

Opiates can cause liver damage, some more than others. I wish I had better information for you. I encourage you to discuss this with your physician. .... and Please let us know how you are doing and what you discover.

Feel free to post again and ask additional questions. We are Chronic Pain Patients... and get it!

Take Care,
~Tuck