severe sharp pain in lower back right side comes in waves
I am getting very severe and sharp pain in my kidney area or right lower back and side area.  It seems to come in waves and nothing in particular seems to trigger it or make it better.  What might it be?
Hello Chaddyboy,

A tardy Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post!!

There are several things that could be responsible for your pain. The obvious given what you stated .... moving Kidney Stones! However if it is Kidney Stones be prepared for that pain to become extreme and possible send you to seek immediate medical attention.

It's been several days since you posted how are you doing today? Again if it a kidney stone the pain can wax and wain as the stone moves and then can stop. If it's a very tiny stone, gravel.. you may pass it and the pain will suddenly stop as quickly as it began.

I'll look forward to your updates.

Peace,
~Tuck
I am having the exact symptoms. The waves of sharp pain go across my low back and over my right hip. Not only can I not walk, sit or stand without pain, I cannot lay down or sleep either. What was it?
Hi Nat,

Sorry for my tardy response. This is an old thread and belongs to someone else, Old threads aren't as "visible" as new ones and do not get the responses they deserve.

If your SX are the same as the original poster - I have the same thoughts. It sounds like kidney stones to me.

I, my mom and my brother have all had these nasty stones. I've had more than I can count. I use to go to the ED. Now I know the spasmodic pain of kidney stones and treat it myself in most instances.

I encourage you to consult your PMP and get a true DX (diagnosis). Just because I think you may have kidney stones doesn't mean that is what you are experiencing. Pain is our body's way of telling us something is wrong. Listen to it and get a DX.

Please let us know how you are doing - but please do begin a new thread. Just click on Post a Question. It'll walk you through initiating your own thread.

Be aware that we do have a Kidney Stone Forum too. Please know that you are always welcome here - but I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't inform you that there are options to our Chronic Pain Forum.  There is a great Community Leader in the Kidney Stone Forum. If you are DX with Kidney Stones you may find this community helpful.

Here's the link:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Kidney-Stones

I'll look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Best of Luck!
~Tuck