Pain Management Community
sharp leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

sharp leg pain

I keep getting a sharp stabbing pain in my upper outer thigh area that goes down to my mid thigh.  i am healthy, little over weight.  normally work 55 to 60 hours a week with no problem.  there is no discoloration, swelling, numbness,or tingeling.  mostly happens when i am standing trying to turn or walk.  sometimes the pain is in my mid left buttox and shoots down to my mid thigh while laying down.  any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.  
Hi Auntiepooh:  I would like to welcome you the Pain Management forum.  As you already know we are a community of chronic pain patients.  I wish there were a doctor at least monitoring this forum but there is not.  But we do offer support, advice and friendship to other chronic pain patients.

I am sorry to hear of your pain.  It sounds very aggravating.  Have you seen a doctor about this?  If not, I'd suggest you consult your family doctor or an orthopedic doctor.  Your pain could be from any number of issues.  The one that pops into my mind is sciatica.  Please see this link to see if this sounds like something you may have: http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/3291

Now please keep in mind that I'm certainly not a doctor.  And any diagnosis and treatment must come from a medical professional.

I urge you check back for better answers than I have provided.  And please stick around.  We love new members. I'm sure we could all benefit from your knowledge and we do offer great support while you're going through this painful time.

Welcome,
Sara
Hello Anniepooh,

Welcome to MedHelp' Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to share your pain symptoms. We know how chronic pain can impact our daily lives and I am sorry that you know this also. With the many long hours you work the pain must become excruciating at times and distracting.  

There are multiple reasons for lateral leg pain. Only a good clinical evaluation can provide you with the correct diagnosis. Sara is correct, sometimes sciatica can present as lateral leg pain but usually it is also felt in the buttocks, low back or posterior thigh. Not always mind you but usually Do you have buttock pain or hip pain?

You could also have ITB Syndrome. The Iliotibial Band (ITB) (also known as the fasciae latae) is a thickening of the fascia, which is the outer casing of the muscle, that runs up the outside of the thigh. It originates up by the top of the hip and ends on the outside of the knee. When these muscles are over worked, injured or sometimes without little reason you can develop Iliotibial Band Syndrome. This condition is easily treated in its early stage so don't wait to have this looked into. If left untreated it can become chronic or more difficult to treat.

I do not have Iliotibial Band Syndrome. I have something called SIJ Syndrome. It was left undiagnosed and untreated for years. Now my pain is chronic, severe and debilitating. Please don't let this happen to you.

Sometimes the largest bursae in our body can become inflamed and/or irritated, the hip bursae. When this occurs it is called Trochanteric Bursitis. While pain is usually noted in the hip also it can cause extreme upper lateral thigh pain that travels down the thigh.

I do not know if you have Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Hip Bursitis, Sciatica or an other similar condition. I am just encouraging to seek answers. No on should suffer with untreated, undiagnosed chronic pain. You may be a "simple fix" so please dear have this evaluated.

Your PCP may be a good place to begin your search. I sincerely hope you will keep in touch as I will watch for your updates with interest. My best to you.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thanks for the advice.  I actually went to the doctor today.  I have to go tomorrow to get a x-ray done.  He seems to think i pulled something eventhough i told him this has come and gone for months , but is happening more now. My Dad has Sciatica, so that may be my next step is what i was told by my doctor.  He said to start looking for the small simple stuff then move into the big leagues.  Thanks again.  Have a great week and i will will keep all posted.