Pain Management Community
sharp stinging pain in finger PIP joint

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

sharp stinging pain in finger PIP joint

Hello, can someone tell me what causes a sharp stabbing, stinging pain in my middle finger's PIP joint. It has happend before but I didnt really put much attention to it, and now I was even able to sleep last night cause of the stinging pain i felt. It was like someone had a needle and stabbed me with it and moved it around my skin. It was a horrible pain and I couldnt even move my finger cause it would make it worst. If you can help me out thank you.
Hello JMeyers,

Welcome to the Pain Management Community. Sorry to hear about your finder pain.

It's difficult to select from the various possibilities that could account for your pain. Have you changed jobs, did you injure it, do you use it hands to do repetitive work, could you have slept on it? Is it swollen or warm?

It could be inflamed but stinging and needle pain is usually indicative of nerve involvement. What has caused it is a guess. Have you tried, RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevate? It's the usual initial treatment. You may also want to talk to your local pharmacist for a suggestion of an OTC, NSAID.  

If this is bothersome, and it sounds like it is, consult your PCP. I know you're young but it's not impossible for this to be an arthritic type condition. If it is an inflammatory condition the sooner it's treated the better long term results.

I hope you'll let us know what you learn from your PCP. I hope your pain will soon subside.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck