Pain Management Community
sharp sudden pain under left breast at rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

This isn't necessarily a chronic pain, but off and on now for the past couple of months I will be doing something and I will get a sharp, slicing pain under my left breast where my rib cage is.  The pain is so bad that it takes my breath away and I feel like I can't move.  I am never doing anything strenuous and it just comes on suddenly.  Like today I had just gotten out of the shower and it occurred.  So today I decided to look it up and see what I could find.  I didn't really find much but I was just wondering if this is a normal kind of deal or something I should have checked out.  Thanks

This discussion is related to Severe Chest Pain.
Hello Laura,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your pain.

There are many possibilities that could be the source of your pain from Intercostal pain, rib inflammation or cardiac function/muscle pain. It could also be related to your GI track. You could be experiencing symptoms of GERD. There are numerous conditions that could be producing these symptoms that only your PCP can correctly diagnosis.

I encourage you to seek a medical opinion. It is most likely not cardiac related but we should never dismiss chest pain. A few simple tests and a good clinical exam should be able to provide you with some answers.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Peace,
Tuck