Pain Management Community
soma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

soma

Hi there. So I've got a bulged disc with moderate nerve compression at c5c6 and a bulged disc at t2t3 with mild nerve compression, a straightened cervical spine, arthritis, and degenerative disc disease. With all that at age 20 I'm in serious pain constantly. My neuro won't give me pain medication because I'm a recovering alcoholic. He recently gave me soma though. I've read it can be very addictive because its a barbituate and not to take it longer than 2-3 weeks but I've got a 6 month supply. Should I be worried about becoming addicted to this since I'm already an addict? Also, would there be anything else I could try?
I am so sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your back and I pray you find some relief from your pain. I took Soma once for a few months after a car accident about 10 yrs ago, it did have an extremely euphoric effect on me. However, the urge to continue using the medication after I had recovered from the accident wasn't as strong as when I discontinued my use of the Norco I was taking a few months later. ( I was taking hydrocodone 10/325's 2x/6hrs daily.) Every person is different, (lol - which you hear A LOT!) so the Soma may have a different effect on you. It's ultimately your choice if you want to take the medication or not. However, since your doc knows your history, he has probably come to the conclusion that the benefits outweigh the risks to your addictive history with alcohol. I can't take Soma, because of the euphoria, and Flexaril causes me some very uncomfortable and dangerous side effects. Sometimes when the muscle pain in my leg now ( I was in another, worse MVA last year.) gets to be too much I take valium 5mgx1 ( But I am on Rx pain medication too and the valium can make me super sleepy feeling), and I am on Robaxin (Methocarbomol) daily. 1 - 2  500mg pills up to four times a day ( Depending on how bad the pain is that day.) and it helps take some of the edge off. You might try asking your doc about it. It does have some side effects for me that are irritating (numb tongue, headaches) but the Robaxin is much better than any alternative I have found that works for me and with the other medications I am on. Hope this helps you some and you are in my prayers. Have a wonderful holiday season.  =D
Thanks so much for your advice, I will definitely speak to my neurologist about that medication!
I am glad I was able to offer another suggestion and I am here if you have any other questions or issues. Good luck with your neuro doc. and with finding something to help manage your pain. Hope you have a great day!  =D