sudden, sharp pain in wrist
Earlier today I reached down to my leg to scratch, bending my wrist forward (palm toward wrist) to do so. Suddenly, however, a sharp pain shot through my wrist and I have been in pain ever since. I must keep it still to avoid the pain, and it hurts worst (excruciating and sharp) when I bend my wrist up, or towards the top of my arm (the opposite direction to when the injury occurred). Sensation/pulse in the fingers is fine, other wrist is perfect.
What could it be and what should I do?
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Hello Ryan,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am sorry you have injured your wrist and are in pain.If you are in severe, acute pain you may go to an Urgent Care Center.  Be sure to rest your wrist and keep it elevated, you may apply ice packs. Place ice pack at the wrist joint and leave it on for ten minutes, then take it off for ten minutes. Keep alternating for an hour or two and than determine the impact, if any on your pain level. Obviously NSAID's, unless contraindicated, can be used to reduce pain and swelling.

There are a multitude of injuries that could account for your pain. It could be a painful sprain, strain, dislocation, small fracture or less likely an acute onset of gout, tendinitis or bursitis. And there may be other conditions causing your pain.  It is important to seek medical care if your condition does not improve.

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. Best of luck and take care, Tuck

i have been geting pain in the wrist for about a year but my wrist is not swolen or anything like that but i did hurt it around a year ago sumtimes it seems better then doing the simplest of things can set it off again. can you help please
Ihave been having this wrist pain for a month already. it's asharp pain that i can't even pick up anything I drop everything and the pain does not want to go away. i put ice packs aput heat patches and all it's doing is burning my skin.
Please adivise me to what i should do. I don't have any medical insurance.