Pain Management Community
sudden burning pain in outer thigh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

sudden burning pain in outer thigh

I have been experiencing sudden burning pain in my outer thigh.  53 yr old female, when standing for more than 20 minutes, sudden severe burning pain in my outer thigh, right leg.  I try moving around to stop pain, then leg tingles like it is asleep. After intense bouts of pain it seems to subside if I sit for a few minutes. PLEASE HELP!
Hi Ribbit. I am sorry you are having pain. "Burninig" pain is usually associated with the nerves as is tingling and that "asleep" feeling. Where does it originate from is a guess, unless diagnosised by a doc. If you need a refferal I would begin with my primary acre physician. And often a neurologist will want you to be evaluted first by your PCP. It could be originating in your spine, possibly your hip but more likely the lower lumbar portion of your spine. I would call for that appt as soon as possible. Others will post with more information for you. Good luck and take care. Tuck
Hi Ribbit, It sounds like an EMG might be in order for you. It is a nerve conduction study that will tell you if your problem is nerve related. Also, the Nerologist can do a Muscle study to determine if one or both might be the culprit. How is the circulation in your legs? This can cause pain if the circulation is poor. Your at the right age for things of the circulatory nature to start going awray. lol.  Good luck with it. Mollyrae
I have had the same problem for years and it could be from nerve damage or disc problems it is difficult to say but I would suggest you see your Dr and have the proper test done. Good luck!