Pain Management Community
synthetic pain medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

synthetic pain medication

My husband was given synthetic pain medication for surgery a year ago. After a couple of days he couldn't go to sleep because his automatic breathing mechansim wold turn off. He had to walk for hours just to make himself keep breathing. He was told he is totally unable to take any kind of synthetic drugs for that reason. Our problem is that most doctors don't know what is a synthetic drug. Pharmacies don't know either.
Next week he is going to have total hip replacement and would like to know how to explain to them about sythentic drugs. Barb
The term "synthetic," as used in the National Drug Control Strategy (NDCS) Annual Report and its classified annex, refers to drugs whose origins are not primarily organic, but rather are produced via chemical synthesis.
Synthetic drugs are made in a lab without organics.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. This question was asked a while back and I will see if I can find it because a chemist explained the difference. I believe he said thet for example opium is organic bsaed and drugs like oxycocone or lab produced opium.
I will look for the post or see if I can contact him.
Synthetic pain medication has a chemical base. They are not derived from a plant. Morphine, methadone are a few that are true opiates. Fentanyl is chemically based.
Mollyrae
I'm sorry, I didn't finish my comment. If you google synthetic opiates you will find a wide variety. Good luck with everything,
Mollyrae
Hi Barbtops,

I am very sorry to here about your husband's intolerance of synthetic pain medications. Most pain meds are synthetic, OxyContin is a synthetic, opiate. Drugs like heroin and marijuana are "natural" drugs.

As Sandee indicated synthetic simple put means man made. I cannot think of a legal pain medication that is not a synthetic. As Sandee said, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Is it only pain medications or all synthetic medications? There must be something in the process of manufacturing that effects his system. I would imagine that some of the medications utilized for anesthesia would include synthetic pain medications. I am not trying to scare you but if I understand your post correctly you should not wait to discuss this with the surgeon or the anastesologist. Indeed in my opinion it is imperative that you discuss this with the anastesologist PRIOR to the date of the scheduled surgery. I would believe there are medications that can be used safely for your husband. He can't be the only person that has this intolerance. Some medications may have to be ordered ahead of his procedure that is why I recommend speaking with the physicians. I am not a physican or a specialist in this area and I could be incorrect. I do know that drug intolerance's can be serious.

Best of luck to you and your husband. Please let us know how he does. Maybe you can educate us. I will look forward to your updates. Take Care, Tuck