the dc says i have grout
yes my big toe hurts and now all the rest of them hurt and i have a lot of feet pran
I would recommend going to see a rheumatologist for gout. My husband suffered un-necessarily from acute gout attacks and it turns out that it was not going away because of the way it was being treated! He's on two different anti-inflammatories and alpurinol and has not had a single attack since he saw this doctor. The pcp and the podiatrist did NOT know what they were doing!
I think what RockyMD meant to say was the you mean GOUT a biuld up of Uric acid in the joins. Avoid alcohol & red meant & you should be OK.
Red meat and alcohol can bring on gout, but I respectfully disagree with the statement that simply avoiding those things can make it ok. My husband obstained from both of those things and still got attacks. Gout is generally hereditary and many other things can bring it on.

Also, if you are currently having an attack, that is not going to solve things. Are you in a lot of pain? Have you gone to see a doctor? If it is your first one, they will likely just put you on pain meds and anti-inflammatories. But like I said above, if you continue to have issues despite of diet changes etc....I would save yourself a lot of time, money and pain by seeing a Rheumy.

Blessings,

Kat
Hello Wicked,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear that you have Gouty Arthritis (Gout). It is a painful condition.

Gout can spread to all the joints of your foot, including your ankle. It can also effect other joints in your body including your knee, elbow and wrist.

Years ago Gout used to be called the Rich Man's Disease. Why?... Because it is caused by the deposits of uric acids (actually crystals) in your joints. As indicated above Purine rich foods (which are broken down into Uric Crystals) is found in Red Meats and Alcohol which was once considered a rich man's diet. However that assumption is not completely true. Purines can be also be found is a host of foods including mushrooms, liver, turkey, legumes, apples and gravies.  Gravies because it is made from meat drippings. Beer and alcohol can also be a culprit.

Without going into a lot of detail, Uric acid is a substance that results from the breakdown of purines (or waste products) in the body. This deposit can also occur in the kidney's (causing a form of kidney stones). The Uric crystals can deposit under the skin and actually be felt as "lumps."  Most often they deposit in the joint(s) and cause inflammation and as you have discovered, pain which is usually accompanied by redness, warmth and swelling.  

Avoiding Purine-Rich foods can help...however it is not usually the total or final answer. Repeat attacks over a period of time can actually damage your joints. That's one of the reasons it's important to control Gout. If diet does not keep you symptom free there are medications that your physician can prescribe.

Testing for Gout is easy and and affirmative. If your PCP has diagnosed you with Gout he is probably correct. Return to your physician and request more treatment. Not only should your pain be controlled....so should your symptoms.

Best of luck to you. I hope you will let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
~Tuck