Pain Management Community
tramadol? narcotic or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

tramadol? narcotic or not?

ok, i was in a major collision a month and a half ago, and i have been in physical therapy since, trying to get myself back in order.my doctor has prescribed ultracet (37.5 tramadol and 350 acetominophen) to me. they also prescribed flexoril and naprosyn. i am in recovery, for addiction, and specifically instructed my physician that i had to have non narcotic medication. he said that ultracet was narcotic like but non narcotic. i even have info from the pharmaceutical company stating it is non narcotic. so my question is what are the risks, is it ok to take this med, as i already am, and i have been super irritable. is that from the pain, or the pills?
Hi and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

Yes Tramadol, though not a narcotic acts that one. It has similar actions to Morphine. It has addictive qualities and many ppl experience withdrawal symptoms. I will not be surprised if it soon becomes a scheduled narcotic.

It is difficult to determine if your irritability is from the pain, from the medication or a combination of the two. I suggest that you do a search of Tramadol and that will provide you with more specific information.

Best of luck to you. If you have additional questions and we can help we will attempt to do so. We hope to hear from you again.

Take Care,
Tuck