Pain Management Community
treatment for Bursitis pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

treatment for Bursitis pain

I have sharp constant pain rediating down from my right mid buttock area all the way down my left leg to my left foot.  Is this Bursitis? What can be done to relieve the pain?
hi Punkie..........thats a good question and I have the same pain from the buttocks to the hip and radiating to the thigh and down my legs..worse on left side........I have 2 problems and this pain could be caused by either one doctor says one thing the other says different so gets very confusing.
1. it very well could be caused by the bursitis in our hips, although from what I understand that pain should only radiate as far as the thighs and not necessarily down the whole leg.
2. I also have herniated disks with nerve impingement and that is most likely the cause of the radiating pain along with sciatica.
for the bursitis I have had one set of cortisone injections to both hips...this did NOT STOP any of the leg pain
I'm currently on 1800mg of gabapentin for the sciatica and this does help immensely for the sciatic pain but again NOT the nerve pain that radiates all over.
I'm also on 20 mg of oxycontin which gives moderate relief to my back but again only MILDLY helps with the pain in my legs.....so thats where I stand, I'm fairly certain the radiating leg pain is due to the herniated disks and pinched nerves.
however you would need to see a neurologist to confirm this.
Are you on any medications? and how long have you had this?
Hello Fellow Wisconsinite,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you have found us but sorry to hear about your sciatica. Here's my personal opinion.

Usually pain in the center of your buttocks that radiates down your leg is called sciatica. It is a symptom and not a disease or condition. Bursitis does not normally present in that manner.

Hip bursitis pain is generally on the hip itself. It is painful to touch, sometimes warm and sometimes difficult to rest upon. It can radiate down the outside of your leg.

Sciatica can be from several different conditions, nerve entrapment, often originating in the spine or SI (sacroiliac) Joint problems can cause the type of pain you describe.

Only a physician can determine the cause. When you see your PCP please ask about both conditions. Often SIJ problems can be over looked.

Good luck to you. I hope you will keep is touch and let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck