Pain Management Community
trigeminal neuralgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

trigeminal neuralgia

I have been treated for the above for over 2 years.  Some medical experts say I can drive while others say definitely no to driving so I am not driving.  When will I be told it is safe to drive again
Hi Eliza and welcome to the pain management community!

I think that it is truly a judgement call that you have to make since their are doctors on each side of this issue.  I know trigeminal neuralgia is an extrememly painful condition that causes intractable pain.  The pain itself can affect your driving abilities.

As far as pain medications go, you need to not drive until you know how to react to the medicine.  You always need to ask yourself, Am I safe to drive?  If you are extremely drowsy or dizzy along with a lot of pain, driving is probably not the right thing to do.  So before you ever get into the driver's seat, you need to make sure that your reaction time is sharp and that you feel grounded and not "out of it" from the pain medications or the pain itself.

Truly no one is inside you but you.  You are ultimately responsible if you get into an accident and injure someone so you want to make sure that you feel comfortable driving.  

People with epilesy are often told to never drive because of the chance of a seizure occuring causing loss of consiousness and control of the vehicle.

So the answer is no one can tell when it is safe for you to drive.  You have to evaluate your well being before getting the driver's seat of a car.

Take care and again, welcome.

femmy
Many thanks, your reply has given me lot more help than some members of medical profession.  Sadly unless you have experienced the condition no one can understand just how excruciatilngly painful it can be.  I am also looking for advice about how to cope with terrible fear and anticipation of an attack.  any hints would be more than welcome
Again many thanks
Hi Eliza,

You are very welcome and I am glad that I could help.  It sounds like you could have possibly developed an anxiety disorder from the shock of the multiple attacks that you have had previously.  I also have anxiety/panic disorder and I take a maintenence dose of Valium (1 mg in the AM and 1 mg in the PM).  It is a pretty low dose and I have been on the same dose range for 6 years and it is very effective for me.  There are times (although rare) that I have an acute panic attack that requires an immediate dose of Valium.

There are other meds other than Valium that are in the same family of medicines (benzodiazepines) that you can talk with your doctor about.  

I am on very strong medications and I am also asking myself, "Am I safe?" before I drive.  I have never been in an accident that was my fault in my entire lifetime before and after I started a opioid regimen.  It is a controversial and tricky topic of discussion...Pain and Pan Medications while Driving.

For me personally, I have noticed that I am dodging dumb things that non-medicated people are doing on the road.  :P

Hoping others will chime in with their views on this subject as it is a good topic to discuss.

femmy  :)
Many thanks to you once again, I have been geatly encouraged.  My partner has been a tower of strength throughout all this and is having a bwell earned break for a few days next week and I will have respite in a care home, I am in my 70s and could not cope at home on my own.  I am sure the break will be good for both of us and our batteries will be recharged