Pain Management Community
un clear???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

un clear???

can anyone tell me what Lyrica is and Savella, in england Lyrica is a company who make a drug called Pregabalin,thats what i am on now,been back to doc 2day and he has give  me a larger dose of pregabalin.
Hi Flatshoes,

I take 150mg of Lyrica 2x day and have just titrated up to the recommended? dose of Savella 50mg 2x per day.

Lyrica works to control nerve pain and is approved to treat fibromyalgia.  Lyrica is a trade name and Pregabalin is the actual name of the medication. Lyrica is a hybrid, so to speak, and similar to gabapentin or Neurontin. Neurontin is approved for use to treat seizures but was found to be helpful with individuals with fibromyalgia

Savella is a dual reuptake inhibitor called a SNRI.  Which means is it a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.  Levels of norepinephrine have been found to be low in individuals with fibro.

So, Savella is used as an adjunct to Lyrica.

About your reference to England.  The FDA is notoriously slow approving new medications.  Savella and Lyrica have been used in Europe for some time.  I hate to type this, but the FDA watches what happens to individuals in Europe before they release a drug in the US.

Hope this helps.  Goggling any of the brand names of the mediations you provided will give you a wealth of info.

Best,
Michelle  
Hi Flatshoes,

Michelle has done another good job of responding to a questions. I too am reluctant to tell you that she is correct.

As she said, our FDA is notoriously slow and does watch European patients reactions, side effects and so forth before they approve medications for use in the USA.  

I hope this medication is proving beneficial for you. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck
may i say thnx  to both u and Dshell for the info u have give me.....today i am having a very bad day with my pain i culd,nt get out of bed this morning my hubby had to pull me out!!and the pregabalin have just started to kick so am off to bed to rest,so nite nite and thnx once again for the info.good luck.....flatshoes.