Pain Management Community
upper left side pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

upper left side pain

Im 28 year old I have been having pressure like pain on the upper left side of my ribs.. the first Doctor said it was  the Acid Reflux thing then i started to vomit after eating. Second Doctor did a upper GI nothing there for Reflux went to another doctor he really had nothing to say he gave me delay pills..  I took 4 different types before we found the right one the.. But I'm still having that pain in the upper left side please help should i see another doctor, we did test after test no gallstones. I did have a fatty liver but still have the pain and  the Doctor did nothing
Have any of your doctors ever taken a look at your pancreas?  That digestive organ is in the upper left quandrant and can cause the symptoms you describe.  Even though you're negative for gallstones, you may still have a gallbladder problem.  There is a nuclear medicine scan that can test how well (or not) your gallbladder is functioning.  The specialist you need for these kinds of problems is a gastroenterologist.

Have you ever had any other abdominal or digestive problems?  Any abdominal surgery?  The reason I ask is that scar tissue (also known as adhesions) may be causing the trouble and it's difficult to determine its existence without yet another surgery.  Any surgery or abdominal inflammation caused from infection like an infected gallbladder or appendix can cause scar tissue to form in the abdomen.  It's the body's normal response as it tries to heal itself.  In women, endometriosis is notorious for causing adhesions.  If it forms on intestines or other organs, adhesions cause pain and digestive issues depending on the location.

I hope you can find a doctor willing to look further than acid reflux.  That search can be long and frustrating sometimes.  It wouldn't hurt to get copies of all test results (lab work, imaging study reports, surgical reports, etc.) and keep them a notebook.  It will come in handy if the search goes on much longer and may keep you from having to repeat tests.  Having that information in one place may even help a sharp-eyed doctor figure out what's going on.

Pay attention to your symptoms and consider keeping a daily journal of your pain levels.  Include dietary and medication data and make a note of anything that makes the symptoms better or worse.  Pay particular attention to your diet.  If you do have a gallbladder or pancreas problem, fatty meals will make you feel worse as will alcohol.  In fact, alcohol is one thing that the pancreas cannot tolerate at all if it has a problem.  Most cases of pancreatitis occur in alcoholics or in people who went on a drinking binge.

I hope you get some answers very soon.  :-)