Pain Management Community
upper right back and breast pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

upper right back and breast pain

i have a pain now at my upper right back that goes through my whole breast. Before it was just at the upper right back and was aching on and off for six years now. But it's different now because the pain continues and it goes through my breast. Please help me.
Hi Nhemz,

A tardy but hearty Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I apologize that your post was "missed" and that my response is late. I was unavoidable absent for a number of days but your question/concern is important to us. I sincerely hope that you are still monitoring our site.

I am sorry to hear about the increase and change of your pain. We can relate to pain!! Has your upper back pain been diagnosed in the past? It sounds like whatever is causing your back pain may be worsening or progressing.

The back pain could be from a compressed nerve. When this occurs it can radiate into your breast or chest area. It would make sense that this compression has become more severe over the years.

Another common cause of pain in your upper back and chest may be originating in your diaphragm. However your pain could also be associated with a muscle. The muscles in our back also connect in the rib area and pain will radiate from that muscle into the chest of breast area.

Less likely is a Gastrointestinal problem. But sorry I am merely thinking out loud and speculating.

Of course this could be two different conditions.... totally unrelated. I am not an expert or a physician. I suggest that you consult your PCP to have this properly diagnosed. It's doubtful it's cardiac related but you do need this investigated. Stress and concern over what the pain can be often makes our pain even more extreme. Our muscles tighten when stressed and will even spasms... so pain increases.

Again please consult your PCP. No one should have to suffer with undiagnosed and untreated pain... especially when it has been lengthy period of time. I hope you will keep in touch and let us know what you discover. I will look forward to your updates with interest.

Take Care,
~Tuck  

Well it looks like the back pain which has become worse is because of nerve compression and has worsened now maybe because of bad posturing. You should get a MRI back done to rule out any pathology which is causing the problem, also get yourself evaluated by the physician to rule out any referred pain causing the same thing.
Get well soon.