Pain Management Community
vitamin d deficiancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

vitamin d deficiancy

my doctor told me that I have vitamin d deficiancy, he put me on high doses of vitamin d and then 3 months later he did blood tests again they then came back in the normal range, he then put me on a daily dose of 800 IU and then tested me 3 months later back in july, My level is now lower than my original level, even after being on the daily dose. What causes this, I live outside almost all the time, swimming, camping, gardening. I love all milk products and get lots daily. is there something wrong with me, my doctor doesn't want to tell me any thing_Please help, I am constantly in pain just moving I am sooo tired, I need to keep up with my 4 kids. It is so unfair to them and me, I need to fix this.

Hi....may I ask do u take other meds or supplements?...if so, the timing of ur meds may be in question as some meds can have an interaction and cause an absorption issue.How is ur B12?

"selma"
My vitamin D is also in the toilet.  My D2 was non-existent and my D3 was low 20's.  My PM discovered it and put me on 50k units once a week for 6 weeks.  I go retest it next week.  I'm a vegetarian so I wasn't all that shocked that it is low.  Low vitamin D is linked to many many things including fibromyalga (fibromyalgia).  I would ask your doc if your pain and fatigue are because your vitamin D is low or because of something else possibly autoimmune.  I see a Rheumatologist on Friday b/c I have had migrating joint pain and fatigue.  Just my $.02.  I hope you get some answers.
Hello Toot,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. You are always welcome here but there may be another forum on MH that could provide you with more information. We are a community of ppl with chronic pain. There are no physicians or experts here. But we are always willing to help the best we can.

I too have a Vit D deficiency. It is important to know why you have such low levels that apparently are not responding well to supplements. I take 50,000U of Vit D per week. My level is low normal with that supplement. However I know the reason, I have a Malabsorption Syndrome caused by the loss over of 3 ft of my small intestine where vitamins and minerals are absorbed. I also have inadequate sunlight exposure.  This accounts for my deficiencies.

I think it is important to determine why your levels are so low when you report more than adequate sun exposure. If your PCP is not willing to investigate the possibilities I beleive it is important to find a physician that will find reasons.

Obviously my suggestion would be to seek a second opinion. While it is true that Vit D deficiency can increase generalized aching it is usually not extreme although we all are different. Your constant pain and fatigue may be related to more than the Vitamin D deficiency. Have you had other levels checked, such as your Vit B12?

I hope you are able to find a resolution to your painful symptoms. Please be assertive and insist on answers. We will look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to ask additional questions, respond to post and become active in our community. You are more than welcome.  

Take Care,
~Tuck

Welcome to the Pain management community. Were very glad to have you here:)

Here are some reasons for vitamin D deficiency...
Vitamin D deficiency can occur for a number of reasons:

You don't consume the recommended levels of the vitamin over time. This is likely if you follow a strict vegetarian diet, because most of the natural sources are animal-based, including fish and fish oils, egg yolks, cheese, and beef liver.

Your exposure to sunlight is limited. Because the body makes vitamin D when your skin is exposed to sunlight, you may be at risk of deficiency if you are home bound, live in northern latitudes, wear long robes or head coverings for religious reasons, or have an occupation that prevents sun exposure.

You have dark skin. The pigment melanin reduces the skin's ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure. Some studies show that older adults with darker skin are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Your kidneys cannot convert vitamin D to its active form. As people age their kidneys are less able to convert vitamin D to its active form, thus increasing their risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Your digestive tract cannot adequately absorb vitamin D. Certain medical problems, including Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease, can affect your intestine's ability to absorb vitamin D from the food you eat.

You are obese. Vitamin D is extracted from the blood by fat cells, altering its release into the circulation. People with a body mass index of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of vitamin D.

Along with your doctor's treatments eat more foods including fish, fish liver oils, and egg yolks -- and in fortified dairy and grain products.
Vitamin D is essential for strong bones because it helps the body use calcium from the diet. Traditionally, vitamin D deficiency has been associated with rickets, a disease in which the bone tissue doesn't properly mineralize, leading to soft bones and skeletal deformities. But increasingly, research is revealing the importance of vitamin D in protecting against a host of health problems.
Research suggests that vitamin D could play a role in the prevention and treatment of a number of different conditions, including type1 and type 2 diabetes, hypertension, glucose intolerance, and multiple sclerosis.