want to increase my pain medication dosage
i was on dilaudid and it was working fine (4mg 6 times a day).
my doctor put me on percocet 5/325 3 times a day. now im in pain, and going through withdrawals.
i take morphine as well but thats extended relief. i was using the dilaudidd for breakthrough.
now that she put me on pecocet.the quality of my life *****. percs do'nt work for me.
any suggestions? i talked to her about it she wants me to see a pain specialist.
ive been to the emergency room twice since she put me on percs for pain.
the emergency room gives me dilaudid via IV. then they tell me to see my dr about my pain meds.
and it starts all over again. i had spinal and face surgery 2month ago from falling off a 4 story bldg.
does sound like its normal or am i the one with a problem?
I'm sorry you are in pain. :(

The best thing would be to tell your doctor that the Percocets are not working for you.  If s/he refuses to help, ask for the referral to a pain management specialist.
Good advise. You need to see a pain management specialist to get your medications on the right levels.
Hello Sully,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your pain.

I think the above are good suggestions and as you said, it may be time to see a PMP. If your PCP is unwilling to continue to prescribe enough pain medications to control your pain a PMP may try another combination that will help you. You state may dictate that a PMP do long term narcotic therapy.

I don't think you are the one that "has the problem" per say. I just think that the right combination of pain meds need to be found. I know you said the dilaudid was helping but apparently your PCP is not comfortable prescribing this any longer. Your MS Contin (or another slow release opiate) may need to be increased to ease some of your break through pain. A good PMP will work with you to get this right.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We will look forward to your updates. Best of luck and take care, Tuck
I have three ruptured disc, L3,L4,and L5.  On pain meds 10 years seen many  doctors done therapy done pain management three times nothing has helped. pain meds. not working except to make me sick. No adjustment in meds. in 10 years.These doctors have been billing my insurance company between 25 to 35 thousand dollars per year and all i get is a run around. Have been told surgery is not an option and that my pain is all in my head. I am at a point where suicide or buying illegal drugs on the street are my only options left. There are thousands if not millions of people in my situation and there is no one nor any oversight by the insurance companies to pursue the  fraud rampant in the medical field. What must a person do to get real help? Oh i know lets allow the federal gov. to control our health care (not). I either need my meds. dosage increased or be put to sleep. Can anyone suggest if hiring some type of lawyer or if contacting my insurance company would do any good. I am at my end and at 42 years of age this isn't right.