Pain Management Community
weaning off hydrocodone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

weaning off hydrocodone

I have been in pain management for 9 yrs, I suffer severe pain in conjunction with spinal fusion,cervical fusion, and severe arthritis in my left knee and hip. I have been taking hydrocodone for those nine yrs.
I was recently cut off of my pain meds because of a positive reading for marijuana in my last urine screen.
I am so tired of trying to find pain management doctors, and jumping through the hoops just to have pain medicine.
I have enough pain meds I believe to wean myself off of them, all though after 9yrs of taking them I am scared of how my body and mind may react.
Also without them I am going to be unable to function in any kind of normal capacity, I will need to find some type of alternative pain relief, which is also causing me great anxiety.
If anyone can tell me of an over the counter treatment that might help with the pain I know I am going to experience I would very much appreciate the input.
This is uncharted territory for me, and any input I could receive would be very helpful.
By the way what caused the positive reading for marijuana was a balm that is applied to the skin like BenGay ointment, when I lived in Montana, and had a medical marijuana card these alternatives were available to me.
I now live in Ohio, and such things are not tolerated.
Sorry you're in this position.  I find Therma Care heat wraps will help some.   Lido derm patches & Voltaren gel with Tylenol or ibuprofen may give some relief.  Though you're only dependent, you'll find great info on the substance abuse forum for things that help with coming off the pills.  Hot tubs with Epson salt gives some comfort.  I hope you can find some good care for your pain.    
Thomas Recipe might give some help too sosore--ck at addiction place for it.  om
Vit B12 helps and the new Zzzquil helps with sleep if your withdrawing , I been clean for awhile now and Zzzquil was my best friend....
Thank You, will definitely try it.
Thank you for the pointers
Thank you om, will try that out