Pain Management Community
what type of dr. do i need to see for chronic joint, back, and wrist pa...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

what type of dr. do i need to see for chronic joint, back, and wrist pain

i have very frequent pain (always noticeable, frequently severe) in my rotator cuffs, hips, back (upper and lower-upper i think is mainly due to stress), hands and wrists(with any out of the ordinary use). what type of doctor do i need to see. one of my local neurologists' secretary told me he couldn't help with joint pain but could help with my wrists. i can't work because of my pain, severe irritable bowel syndrome, and mental illness. i'm bipolar and have severy anxiety issues as well as adhd. i am not a hypercondriac (sorry for spelling), i just think i have some underlying illness that is causing my pain. i have seen hand specialists years ago and one told me my nerves were really close to the surface and when i go to the dentist i have to have topical anesthetic for cleaning, and the gowgants (sorry again for spelling) shot for even a shallow filling that they usually don't give any anesthetic for. also had a small lump removed in dr's office years ago and it took more than twice the amount of local anesthetic to numb me for him to remove lump. there has to be a connection somewhere. i also am really tired most of the time, have been since i can remember.  i don't think it is a psychological disorder but what do you think? there is no connection with certain moods i have or cycles of bipolar, but  anxiety and depression make it worse. i can be manic and happy and be in severe pain it just doesn't make sense. my chiropractor is the only one who has tried to help-he took x-rays and they showed some arthritis in my hips and some advanced wear in my hip joints and rotator cuffs but he didn't act like it was enough to cause me so much pain. i am fighting disability and have been for over 2 years. if i don't get it soon i have to get a job but i have to be physically and mentally a lot better than i am now. please help fast.  velvetvenus
Hi Velvetvenus:

If you remember what I wrote in the last post you wrote, I really think that your stress and anxiety are causing you great pain. It really can be mentally related. Stress can actually make you physically ill. Please seek psychological help. It really might do some good.

Please take care,
Molly
thank you for your input. i do see a psychologist who thinks i'm very sane, i see him next week and am going to ask his advise. i have a long history with him and my psychiatrist as well as my family doc so i guess this will just take more time for me to get answers. i was given advise to fire my family doc because he hasn't really ran any tests but i think i will give him one more shot, he's a nice person and i'd hate to change now, i hate change but it always seems to come my way. i am on alot of medicine for all my conditions and just hate taking pain medicine and muscle relaxers so i'm just looking for a way to do without them-i just want a diagnosis even if it's all in my head, i still need one.  i don't take the pain med and muscle relaxers every day so addiction is not an issue i just pray for the day i never need them again. thanks for your advise.   velvetvenus
You don't have to be insane to feel pain from psychological issues. Stress and anxiety go hand in hand with pain issues. I am glad that you have an appt. With your Psychologist. You never know, it may be the answer to your problem.
Take care..........
treating pain is very difficult, and it is important for the patient to understand thier own pain in a way that is consistent. I think it might be easier for you to get appropriate treatment if you deal with the anxiety and depression first. keep us updated on your condition, best of luck to you,

nick