Pain Management Community
where to fill my meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

where to fill my meds

I go to a local, legitimate, pain management clinic in my area. However, when I try to get my prescriuptions filled, no one has them. Then if I try to go a little out of my area to a bigger area and find them, they tell me I need to have them filled in my doctor's area. In fact I live in Winter haven, FL, my doctor is in Lakeland, FL just 10-15 miles in one direction, The pharmacy I have been using is in Lake Wales, FL which is about 15 miles in another direction. They now tell me they won't fill for me and that I need to go closer to my Dr's area! Closer than within 30 minutes???
Does anyone know the laws on this? Am I supposed to get them filled in the area I live, in the area the Dr. is in, or somewhere in the county, or anywhere in the state?
Say someone went to Ft. Lauderdale, which is hours away? Would they need to have them filled there or bring them to their own area? What does the law state?
Cuz I'm originally from a really small town in the north. We had to drive 3 hours to get to a mall, not yet a specialist! And I know we could get those prescriptions filled anywhere we liked? Does this change per state, per narcotics vs. non-narcotics, or is it really just up to the individual pharmacist?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this subject!!!
I think the pharmacies dread dealing with pts on narcotics. For a while I had to take a strong one and nobody wanted to fill it or order it for me. It took days for me to find someone would order it and I was in pain! I was told my best bet was a large pharmacy chain and one that was a 24 hr one. I know it helps if you go in to the pharmacy in person with the prescription in hand. They treat everyone like criminals and it's a shame. I hope you can find somewhere that will help you. It's very stressful and you shouldn't be judged. But unfortunately that's how people are nowadays. Good luck and I hope you get some pain relief.
Sorry you are having a problem getting meds filled. I too am on 75mcg fentanyl/48hrs and 4 oxycodone/day for break through pain. I ran into the same problem getting my prescription filled. I had major back surgery 09/30/10 and am on disability now. Finally had to move in with my daughter. That's 2hrs away from my doctor. None of the pharmacies in our area will fill my script. I called Medicare and they helped me with a mail order pharmacy. That way you mail in the script and they send your Meds via ups right to your home.Talk to your doc about it. I don't have to worry about the dirty looks from the pharmacy. I hope this helps. I know how you feel. Good luck.you are in my prayers.
Also,when you talk to your doc ask for a 2 week transition prescription as it takes 2-3 weeks to get your initial script filled with the mail order pharmacy. You will have to get the transition Rx at your local pharmacy,but after that it comes to your home. I hope this helps you.