Pain Management Community
wrist pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

wrist pain

hello, I have been having wrist pain for about 4 months now. it first started when i punched the heavy bag. one of my punches landed hard but my wrist was not prepared for the impact. I have not had any bruising or noticeable swelling in the area. i feel pain specifically in one spot of the wrist on  the thumb side. if i try and do push ups it hurts a lot after the first few. after i stop momentarily, a few times and get back at it the pain becomes bearable. as if my wrist is warming up. is there exercises that i can do to get rid of this problem?thank you and any advice would be appreciated.
Hello Josh,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry that you are having wrist pain. We use our hands and wrist all the time and it is so annoying when we have a dysfunction or pain in the area.

Wrist sprains are common injuries. They effect the ligaments around the wrist joint. You may have injured a ligament that is now inflamed. You may have developed tendonitis or you may have sustained a fracture to a bone in the wrist. There are so many possibilities.

In my opinion you should consult your physician. An x-ray will confirm or rule out a fracture. You may require an MRI to determine the injury if the pain persists and the x-ray is negative. In the meantime icing, rest, wrist support and NSAID (as directed on label) may be helpful. Be sure and see your PCP.

Please let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck    
Hello, I wanted to say that I also been having a similar pain on my wrist.... I have been working out and about 2 months ago I started punching the heavy bag... And I was punching harder with my left hand with no boxing wraps ... A few days later I started feeling a sharp mild pain on top of my left wrist but only when I would bend my wrist forward/ down towards my palm... It's been on and off like that for a month and that gets me worried because I don't have medical insurance so I can't see a doctor... I have full strength on my hand, theres no swelling but it's just sometimes randomly the sharp pain would come when I bend my wrist... Others days I wouldn't feel the sharp pain at all, but I can use my hand perfectly fine Im just worried about why sometimes I get the sharp pain