Pancreatic Cancer Community
Pancreatits or Pancreatic Cancer?
About This Community:

This community is a place to find others who share your interest in pancreatic cancer. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with pancreatic cancer patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, chemotherapy, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with pancreatic cancer, prognosis, radiation therapy, research, surgery, treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pancreatits or Pancreatic Cancer?

Hello everyone, thanks to any who may read this or reply. I am a 23yr old male who does not drink or smoke or have any family or personal history of pancreas problems, until 3-4 weeks ago.

I went to a doctor about a week ago because I had been having pain on my left side about 1-3 inches above my hip that occasionally radiated around to my back and slightly upward an inch. He took a long shot and ordered blood tests + ultrasound to check pancreas. He said that my lipase and amylase came back elevated (didn't specify how high) and the ultrasounds came back inconclusive. I have not experienced any upper abdominal pain and very mild lower abdominal pain that only occurred a few times in 3-4 weeks that  came after my side started hurting. As for jaundice, vomiting, nausea, and bowels goes, I have not experienced any difference except when I become a nervous wreck right before going to see doctor and have loose bowels. The pain in my side and lower back has progressively got better over the last week or so. The pain has never been severe enough to even really warrant taking tylenol or advil to relieve it.

Are there any symptoms that are experienced with one diagnosis versus the other that I should be on the look out for?

If anyone has an insight into what I may be faced with and how to go about dealing with the situation I would greatly appreciate anything! I do have a CT scan pending for later this week so hopefully that can help.

Once again, thank you!
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2827584_tn?1340583296
Although there are a few odd ball causes of pancreatitis about 95% is caused from either alcohol consumption or gallbladder disease. If you are not a drinker a close look at your gallbladder would be in order. There are a few medications that have been associated wwith pancreatitis as well as hyperlipidemias. Autoimmune pancreatitis is another long shot.
Blank
Thank you for replying C. Watters, MD!

I have my CT scan tomorrow but won't have the results until Tuesday. Still nervous as heck about pancreatic cancer possibility until then.

Is there any significance that this all started one morning when I woke up and my side hurt. Over the next few days I couldn't lay on that side but it has just got progressively better over a few weeks. I can now sleep on that side or any other way and the pain has got better.

Do gallbladder problems tend to be hereditary? My mother had hers removed a few years back after having a gallbladder attack after a thanksgiving dinner, but I do not recall her ever having symptoms like mine at all.
Blank
2827584_tn?1340583296
There does seem to be a genetic component to gallbladder disease.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pancreatic Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...