Parent IEP/Special Education Community User Group
IEP Placement
About This Group:

A community for parents to ask questions regarding their child's IEP program and discuss options with other parents on how to get through the process. We are also all here to support each other when we all go through the challenges and miscommunications that can definitely occur when going through the IEP/Special Education process. Our children are a gift and should be treated that way.

Founded by Melissa0116 on October 15, 2009
27 members

IEP Placement

My son was just placed in Spec Ed. a few weeks ago.  I am now regretful that I did not ask more questions. He was placed in Inclusion - Reading and Writing class for upcoming 4th grade.  While he has problems with in-class direction, he scores well on all testing.  Above avg 3rd gr State Standardized test in Reading, Reading just on grade level 3.1 vs 3.7, recent Avg scoring on a Kaufman test, "B" in class.  However, his grades fluctuate...before Reading grade was "U" or below 69%.  We only discussed placement for Writing (B- grade) but he does have issues with organizing his thoughts. He is not deficit here....avg grammar/sentence structure...getting "B" before placement. He has Auditory Processing/mild ADD/no meds. When we got to the final Meeting to sign (only Spec Ed teacher there...was 3rd IEP related meeting before our signing), "Reading" had been added in the draft received the 2 days before.  QUESTIONS:  Does IEP only allow placement with Writing "jointly with" Reading. Can have one w/o other?  There are no goals in the IEP for Reading because 'appears' that it was not their (school's) initial choice to include it. Also, please let me know what you think about Inclusion Classes in general.  Son scores well on test but not so great in-class scores..inconsistent sometimes...need guidance from teacher to stay on task.  What is Inclusion class made of...could not get clear answer from school...# of non-disabled kids.  Does class go at slower pace? He needed IEP Accommodations ONLY but guess can't get w/o placement.  Plan to contact school this week about this all..need your thoughts ASAP.  He has new school next year due to changes in districts. Trying to decide if should try to stay at current school, uncertain.   Also, is there a difference between "General" and "Regular" Education?  One page IEP Form we signed at end...said Regular Education Diploma..how different than what my other kid is getting?  This has stressed me out>..have had alot of sleepless nights here!!!  HELP!!
Tags: IEP, placement, reading, question, help
1 Comment
  Its probably best to bounce your questions off of one of the special ed teachers.  they are good questions.  
  In California, "inclusion"means a part of the regular class.  In other words he is not pulled out and put in a special group.  However, this class may have other special ed kids in it and possibly (hopefully) an aide to help out the teacher.   With an experienced teacher and aide, these classes can work really well.  The class typically moves at a regular pace and the kids get extra help to move them along.  However, if the class is overloaded with special ed kids, than things can slow down.  District probably can't tell you much about next year because unless its a really small school, the classes are not set up for the coming year yet.
  I would think that the reading and writing are lumped together because they are normally taught together during the same time of the day.  I believe that General and Regular mean the same thing.
  Overall, it sounds like a pretty general IEP just designed to get him into the program for next year.  Especially if you move to a new school next year, you want him in the program so they don't have to go through all the testing again.  Hopefully, the IEP mentions things like giving him more time on tests and gives the teacher ideas for giving directions to your son.  
  I am a little surprised he qualified and got an IEP and not a 504.  But I think you are in a pretty good place.  I would say to relax, and then make sure you contact next years teacher early on and talk with them about ways to help your son.
  There are several very good books out there to give you some good ideas.  The most inclusive is probably Sandra Rief’s "How to Reach and Teach Children with ADD/ADHD".  Its probably one of the best, most practical and up-to-date books out there.  It has so much information, its kind of intimidating.  An easier and more direct book is, "The ADD/ ADhD Answer book." , by Susan Ashley. ,
  Hope this helps.  Good Luck1
Sandman2 commented on Viagra and melanoma (...
Apr 11
fGchild joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 13
abandonned commented on  'Inside Job...
Jan 31