IEP: When schools don't follow the plan
My ADHD Son has an IEP, but the school isn't adhering to it.  It seems like very couple of days, he's being sent to the office and then being suspended for disrupting his class.  In his IEP states that when he becomes disruptive, he should be removed from the class and afforded time to calm down.  Instead, they send me home a letter (no actual referral) stating that my son is suspended with no details as to why.  

I've been told that I have grounds to sue the school.  Every attempt on my part to work with them seems in vain.  When I asked why certain aspects of his plan are not being put into action, they tell me he needs a new plan.  When I ask for a new meeting with the IEP board, they tell me they're looking into it and never do.  The only time things have gotten better is when I demanded his records so that I could review all of the paperwork they had for him.  

Frankly, I'm desperate and I need help.  I need the school to take me seriously and stop trying to take advantage of me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Lyn
     Yep, I think it time to get some help.  See if there is a "special education advocate"  in your city.  Tons of names will pop up like this one - http://www.specialeducationadvocacy.org/     if you google special education advocate.
    Also, all states have a maximum amount of time that a child in special education can be suspended (typically 10 days).
   What you might want to do first though is to write and send a registered letter to the President of the school board and state what the problem is.  Inform them that you are looking into a special education advocate.  Tell them that you do wish to avoid costing the school district money, but your childs rights are being trampled.  Send a copy of that letter to your principal.   I think you should hear from your principal fairly quickly.  Hold the advocate for the next step or talk to them anyway in case you feel that you will get the run around again.  Best wishes
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Sandman2 commented on SOY
Feb 12
Sandman2 commented on Worst Foods For An Er...
Feb 02
Sandman2 commented on Monsanto, WebMD
Jan 19