Parenting Children (6-12) Community
10 year old wanting to wear diapers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

10 year old wanting to wear diapers

My ten year old daughter wants to wear diapers. What is her problem? She's almost in middle school! Who would want to wear diapers to school?! Not me, as her mother! Does she "love" girls or what?
I doubt it what did she say when you asked her why? has she any young siblings who wear diapers or cousins or anyone she knows . she could be copying for a game , just say No she is too old and let it drop ...
She probably has a teacher that wont let her go to the bathroom during class or a little bit after lunch. I know that schools let the students have time to go to the restroom, elementary, middle, intermedate, and high schools do it. Also how did you get to the conclusion that she "love" girls?
Hi there I think you need to establish how much she wants to wear Diapers. A friend of mine has a daughter that at the age of 13 asked if she could wear diapers her mum sat down and had a deep chat with her asking her why and she said that she just wanted to wear dipers.
Well after some thought her mum agreed to it and bought some for her,at first she just wore them at home but after a few months started to wear them out and about untill she was wearing them all the time. She has now been wearing diapers for four years. Her mum tells me that she is so happy within herself and her school reports are the best in the school her head teacher says that she is such a happy girl and loves to help others.
Her mum says all this has happened since she went back into diapers, she tells her mum that she loves her very much and that her mum is just like her best mate some one that she can talk to. I think she has a very understanding mum that loves her very much and trys to understand her.
So if your daughter still wants to wear diapers don't be to hard on her think about it, after all if you realy love her. Also what is wrong with wearing diapers they are just an alternative underwear and what harm can they do?
Steve
The answer is just tell her No she is too old, buy her nice girl underwear or let her choose her own ....
Here this site might help, been in your shoes one of mine.
http://wkld.diaperchat.com/

Mike
Do not let her go to any site that you are not supervising ...
ok buy her on back and let her try one on is may say their uncomfotable and end this hole thing but if she likes them why dont you let her wear them but say that you have to change her and sort of embarisse her out of wanting to wear them like when you are changing her say baby things and ask her if shes done a poo or wee before and if she dose learn to change herself before she goses give the diaper to her where people can see im not trying to be mean but she dose have to get out of this thing and will not wear them again and if you have a baby siter tell her/him about it and dont change her in the bath room if someone is in there change her somewhere like the lounge or kitchin
If she wants wear them she has to take them to school with her and when she has to pee of poop she has to go on herself.U will have to tell her all of friends if she wants to wear them diapers.
Maybe you should ask her why first, she might be having accidents or her teacher at school might not be letting her use the bathroom during class. But if you look at my story i have an 11 year old still in diapers which is really hard to deal with.
This might sound really dumb.... but, maybe look into whether she's started puberty and may need something other than diapers, but she doesn't know it!  My children are all little, I don't really has any experience with that..... but that's something to look into.... because she only knows about diapers, and if she's having that sort of an issue early and unexpected, then that might be the whole reason.

Other than that, I see more and more often in today's children of ages 7 to 12, that wearing diapers has become more of a rebellious symbol - almost a badge of rebellion against the 'establishment' in young kids.  It's becoming quite common with the more advertisements and more children needing them at older ages...  The old stigma is dropping fast, and social acceptance among kids on playgrounds is on the rise!

If this is the situation, then you need to have a good counseling with her, Mother to Daughter to get her to understand the importance of Authority and Submission to proper Authority.  IF it's just a game - you gotta end it, and end it the right way - because if not she'll possibly be sneaking cigarettes or illegal drugs next as she gets older!

So basically, if it isn't an actual physical/medical need, then she's showing a dangerous rebellious streak which must be handled immediately, before she finds something much more harmful than diapers to use to defy established Authority with!

For that, you should be: Loving, Accepting, and Firm on the rules!  If you know how to, use a time to talk with her, and show her that you separate her from the problem, and you Love her very very much; but the issue has to go, and there's no wiggle room in it!

Because of this, you should stay on top of her the whole time she lives with you, and keep a close watch to make sure she doesn't get involved with more dangerous acting out behaviors... again you ensure that she knows you Love her and Care for her, and that's the whole basis of your Firm rules and Vigilant watch over her!

I'll tell you from personal experience with playground kids.... the diapers are a symbol of the rebels..... and this wanting expresses that desire in your daughter if it's not for any physical/medical reason, and you need to pull her close to you, replace that rebellious allure with a Loving Mother, and wean her off those negative desires!

Don't take it lightly, and *Don't* ignore it!  This could be a symptom surfacing of a much larger problem within her!  You can only pull her away from behaviors of experimenting with rebellious tendencies, by providing a Loving and Caring home structure, to reinforce the positives of Authority and rules.

Being hard and harsh would show rules and Authority as negative; being Loving, Accepting and Firm, will show Authority as being Caring!  Every so often you gotta sit down with your Daughter and have a nice quiet talk with her, where you remind her how much she means to you.... you gotta reinforce how wonderful and special she is!

See... if you catch her with a wet diaper and no medical problem, then that means she doesn't think she's special and wonderful, and if that's how she feels, than she won't hesitate to pick up smoking and drinking and illegal drugs later on!

She's a ten year old child, you can still treat her like your little princess! :)  Tell her in full detail how much you really Love her, and how much having her in your life means to You!  Teach her how Wonderful and Special she really is, and she won't have ideas of doing things that degrade herself.  I mean, if she gets to the point that she actually pees on herself on purpose.... then that shows you she's lacking in self-worth!  That's a horrible thing to do to a wonderful, bright, intelligent little person, that's just gross and demeaning.

That's your responsibility Mommy!  You gotta teach her that she's worth more than any dumb fad that comes along!  Especially the really bad fads like this new interest in kids to diaper themselves and even straight-up soil themselves, even without diapers on, at older ages, to even do this in front of peers now!.... They're missing the whole point of the beauty of growing up and becoming mature.  Maybe it's something that got lost in child rearing, walking the young children through the transitional years from a child to a youth.  And without that guidance there, maybe they get scared and don't know what to do - they don't know how to make that leap forward, so they leap back instead!

Be that the case, parent's should step in and be the one to guide them forward from child to youth; helping them see the wonder and specialness of maturing and changing and growing up!  I think it's been forgotten that the moment of puberty is just as daunting to a child as facing the potty for the very first time - that's the first hugest transition in childhood- your whole known world suddenly changes around you, diapers vanish, get replaced by a stationary thing, even toys and routines all suddenly change, and school starts up - the next biggest is going from a child to a youth, where *everything* in their known world changes suddenly again- simple school becomes complicated high school work, their whole physical body changes, toys get replaced with gadgets - it's a whole new overwhelming world, and it's coming fast!  And if her and her Friends are simply just scared and trying to pretend they're still small and they can hide in childhood if they hold onto the biggest symbol of childhood and security - simply some extra guidance to bring her from the world of a child into the world of a Young Lady may be all she and her Friends needs!

There's probably a whole universe of reasons why one single person begins soiling their pants or wanting to wear diapers.... close examination of your Daughter's daily life will reveal how they fit in, and then you'll know from what angle to approach the situation from!  You have to *know* the why - before you can begin to do anything about it.  It could be for bad reasons, it could be out of fear of changes happening around her, maybe even in her.  So you can't just simply assume something without evaluating the whole matter thoroughly and carefully well.  I've provided the Top Three for you to start with.... but your Daughter will reveal the ~why~ if you watch her closely without her knowing, and her behaviors should express where she's at emotionally, then you can go from there!

I Hope the Best for You and Your Daughter!
I was on computer late, and was just hoping off when I saw this post.... but forgot to look at the date lol, Well, maybe my post could still be helpful to someone else!  I'll check date next time.... and not stay up so late haha!  (I don't sleep very well at night).
My 12 year old was crying once and I asked her why and she said I'm scared to ask you, so we sat down and she said I wasn't to wear nappies. I asked her why and she said because I keep wetting myself (witch I've noticed) so just ask het why and there may be a reason DO NOT embarrass her that's child abuse and could get her bullied handle it I a mature adult way don't make fun of her couldn't believe what some people are saying!!!  
just so u no ive studied this behivior for many years and it seems that u obviously dont know what u r talking about what she is doing is not a rebelious behivior and it is not gonna lead to drugs or drinking what she is doing is showing signs of infantilism or as it is defined the desire to act like and be treated like a baby. it is not a big deal really the person or persons just want to revert back to a time when they were loved i should know because i am one and i dont do drugs or drink and for that matter ive never even touched a ciggarrette and people like u make me sick, just because something knew pops up that someone likes to do that u dont like its appearently bad or weird think about it the only thing that wood lead to drugs is telling them no and punishing them for being their own person  that hurts their selfesteeme and just makes them depressed i was the same way as this little girl was when i was 7 or 8 years old and im 19 now and i have a great wife and a house and a car and a great job since diapers are gonna appearently skrew up their life so bad y didnt they do it to mine cuz im happy as can b and am a responsible adult and soon to b father and i cant wait i feel sorry for ur kids cuz their life must suck with all this athourity talk u give i can understand a little disipline and teachin them to respect adults and positions of athourity but really u take it to an HUGE extreme i mean come on diapers r gonna lead to drugs i mean really if thats so then we're all skrewed cuz we all wore them as a baby and plus i wood rather have my child wear diapers that b on drugs think bout it can u name one person who ever killed someone in a wreck or died of lung cancer or overdosed cuz their diaper was to wet if u can then i will take it all back anyone who wants to reach me and learn a little more bout this subject or how to handle a situation like this can reach me at ***@**** and btw another reason someone wood want to waer them is cuz of the comfort of them they r just an alternative to underwear and they arent near as uncomfortable
i still wear diapers and im a fourth grader 10 year old i wear one when my parents are not looking
I agree with your comments. Twice in my life I was put into diapers - horrified at first, I later accepted and embraced my diapers, using them as they were intended to be used. My first rediapering was in hospital, I was 6. For three days they diapered me and put the toilet off limits. A year later my mum went to hospital - she was there for 3 months. I after a week with out her started to wet my bed at night. After visiting the doctor and not finding anything physically wrong with me, my dad took the doctor's advice and returned me to diapers at night. I began liking to wear them and soon was diapered by the hosekeeper as soon as I was home. All through this experience my dad and my 12 year old brother made no big deal. Their love of me was as strong as before I was returned to diapers. If any of my children had come to me and asked to wear diapers I would agree with them and help them secure the most comfortable diaper for them.
Wearing diapers after being potty trained is odd behavior and to be discouraged in older children.  My goal is to help my child be age appropriate and not coddle them or encourage stages that their peers are long past unless their is a physical problem that creates a need.  peace