Parenting Children (6-12) Community
10 year old with high axiety and feer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

10 year old with high axiety and feer

My daught is 10 years lod very intelegent, functions well at school with lots of friend. She has always had a fear of sleeping alone, it wasnt till she sas 8 1/2 that she started sleeping by her self. She would either sleep with in my husband and mine's bed or with her 13 daughter( who no longer allows it) but we put a stop to that with some exceptions. She sleeps with all the lights on in her room, she will not go anywhere in the house unless someone is there with her and that includes the shower. We have a cat that she will drag in the bathroom and everywere she goes if no one will go with her but i think the cat is getting fed up with that too. She also has a high anxiety level, you mention storms she is obsesses and scared about them for hours. She heard a story about meteor showers and she obssess that they are going to hit out house. I have recently been diagnosised with cancer and sarcoidosis so i now she has been very anxious over this. I just dont know if i should get her in to see a professional before these feers and anxietys get worse. I really feel since she was born she has been a very high strung child and i worry how these obsession will contine to effect her. She olso get upset with herself about these fears but does not now whe she has them, Any advice would be appreciated.
Tags: 10 year old, 10 year old axiety feer
Could she have seen this behavior in anyone else in the family ?As you have been diagnosed with cancer she is probably worried about you and hears a lot of talk about it,I would definately get some professional help for her, and good luck with your battle against the disease..
I suspect your daughter suffers from anxiety - probably generalized anxiety disorder.  This anxiety disorder tends to "show itself" around eight years of age.  I might suggest you google phrases as "GAD and children" or "anxiety disorders in childen" or "how I can help my child with anxiety"  or similar words/phrases if you feel this might be the issue.  

Anxiety is an inhertied trait and as such, if your daughter does suffer from anxiety, she was born with this predisposition.  Do keep in mind that anxiety is a physical condition which results in parts of the brain over-reacting to perceived dangers; it usually is not caused from life experiences.  This is why if you suspect anxiety is the issue, you should consult your family doctor.  If he/she is unable to help you, then ask for a referral to a medical mental health specialist with experience in anxiety disorders.  Do keep in mind that if anxiety is the issue, your daughter will not outgrow this nor will it go away (however, anxiety is highly treatable and can be "managed").  All  the best ...
I'd have her see a children's therapist.  Her responses are very extreme, even given that she is just a child.  Anxiety can be managed, but not by yourself.  She needs a boost.
She sounds a lot like my daughter.  I am in the same shoes as you and I dont know what to do.  I suffer from anxiety but it has become more extreme since I had my daughter.  My daughter has been that way since birth and has just gotten worse with age.  She is afraid of dying and fires.  No idea why but she is.  She also has a lot of friends and does alright in school but it does affect her alot.