Parenting Children (6-12) Community
10 yr. old son cries easily

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

10 yr. old son cries easily

My son is 10 and has always been very sensitive.  He cries easily at school especially about his grades.  He is a straight A student and we tell him how proud we are of him, but he gets upset about little things.  Is it normal and ok if he is still this sensitive?  Should we take him to talk to someone?  I worry that other kids will start to make fun of him.
Tags: son cries
My son, who is now 21, also cries easily.  He did get bullied, but I was a fierce advocate for him.  Some boys and men are emotionally-based and turn into good men, with support and udnerstanding.  You will have to advocate for your son at school with teachers and principals.  Might I also suggest enrolling him in an activity which gives him confidence and a sense of strength?  Honor him in his difference and be glad you don't have an aggressive child.  My son has learned to use his words to express his feelings and to deflect bullying.  if his father is not there or is unhelopful, consider enrolling him in Big brothers for a mentor.
There's an excellent book titled "the highly sensitive child" by Elaine N. Aron.  It can be purchased on-line, in bookstores or borrowed from your public library system (if you are lucky, your school board might even have a copy).  If you google the title of the book, you should be able to find additional information.  Hope this helps ....