Parenting Children (6-12) Community
11 Year Old Tears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

11 Year Old Tears

My son seems to be struggling with maintaining his emotional composure.  He's easily frustrated and cries over small things consistently.  He does not seem to be able to "absorb" small discomforts, frustrations, aggravations, etc.  Is this typical for the age?  
My son seems to have the same type of problems. He is the same age and this only happens at school. It has only been since Christmas break. He started middle school and he feels it is overwhelming. I'm wondering if this is typical also?
My daughter is also 11 and is very frustrated with school. she gets good grades but struggles in some classes and with social issues. I feel bad for her! She also feels overwhelmed and gets upset easily. The thing is that my daughter is very pretty but has very low self esteem! I somehow feel it's my fault and have tried many things to help her gain confidence. She has started to talk with the school psycologist which seems to have helped. That would be my suggestion is to ask your school psycologist to take some time to talk with your child. Good luck!
I think this is very normal for boys, maybe a right of passage. I was having the same issues with my son and I discussed this with his doctor and read ALOT of books. I have been told and have read that at this age their hormones are in such a twist that we should be prepared for anything. My 11 yr old had a crying breakdown in the middle of the day, in the middle of school because someone called him "braceface". He was a complete disruptin of the school. I freaked out wondering what is happening to my angel. He is fine and your child will be as well. Good Luck.