Parenting Children (6-12) Community
12 year old boy emotions during puberty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

12 year old boy emotions during puberty

I have a 12 year old son, who is a straight A student,athletic, lots of friends, and good looking (according to my friends).  The last couple of weeks, he has been very emotional, cries and says everything is boring and he doesn't feel right.  Could this be emotions associated with puberty..

We had a great summer, went on a cruise.  He was looking forward to this vacation, we had a great time, busy doing activities every day.  Soon after we returned he got a fever, but fully recovered after a couple of days.  He was feeling very anxious and he told me that he feels very guilty but when he was 10 - his friend and him where curious and re-enacted something they saw on tv.  I hugged him and told him all kids are curious about sex, all kids are curiou and it was okay, but don't do it again.  He later confessed he was on the internet and a porno sight popped up, and he looked.  He was then worried he would get arrested for looking.  Now he feels like everything is boring.  He's fine at school - he is doing soccer and martial arts - but he is feeling confused why he is feeling this way.  I've been reading about puberty and I just want him to reassure him that kids his age that this is puberty and is very normal.  
You handled it exactly right ,with a good talk to him and yes it is all a Normal process even the curiosity, perhaps you should put a block on the Porn though I dont think you have to have it, and also have the PC where you have a view and no late night viewing, for him ,just be aware of the things that are out there. Keep his energy used up with a ton of the sports and activities, , he sounds like a son to be proud of.
I agree with margypops, sounds like you did everything right there.  I was very similar in my teen years (even the martial arts).  It can be hard for him not to determine what kind of person he wants to be in his life and it certainly sounds like he is confused about weather the new emotions and feelings he is having are normal or moral.  I would say just make sure to be supportive and understanding for now, if the problems persist, you may want to have him speak to a counselor or psychiatrist to ensure that he does not have a mood disorder like bi-polar or chronic depression which can bring down even the brightest person.
My step son hates school, lazy and always in him room texting and playing psp. He has been emotional latley and really don't like to hang out with us?? Is this normal?
Some of it is certainly , but it may be a good idea to keep an eye on the texting and are his friends okay does he use the Computer ,any access to inappropiate material ...It would be a good idea to have him out of his room to join you, lay down a few rules ...