Parenting Children (6-12) Community
12 year old forgetful and trouble foucing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

My 12 year old son in 6th grade has been getting in touble for the last month because he continues to forget homework, doesn't turn it in, doesn't remember to bring books home and is talking in class.  We have met with his teachers and have been told that he loses focus in class as well.  We have had this trouble with him over the last several years but though he was doing better.  We have grounded him, taken things away and every day he says he's going to do better and then it is something else.  All last week and today there was something he did wrong or forgot.  I know summer vacation is only 2 weeks away but we don't think that is the whole problem.  We do not believe he is ADD or ADHD but definitely cannot focus on things (except video games etc)  Even at home if we give him instructions to do more than one thing he forgets or get side tracked.  He continues to not complete tasks or keep up with chores unless we bring it to his attention.  We don't know where to go for help.  Any suggestions?
Why do you believe that ADD and/or ADHD are not the problem?  Not a critical comment; just a question.  Just wondering ...
My husband and I have looked into ADD. With the research we have done we believe that it is not ADD.  I have in the past two days, discussed his issues with a former teacher who had an ADD son and taught other children with ADD and ADHD.  She is also in agreement that it is not ADD but definitely see a problem with focusing,  We have an appointment next week to get him evaluated.  Hopefully we'll find some answers there.
Any updates on your son's situation?  My 10-year son in 5th grade sounds just like yours.  He is very smart, has excellent memory, etc, and thus very good grades in school.  Our pediatrician doesn't think it's ADD or ADHD.  We saw a Play Therapist for 6 sessions and she also doesn't think it's ADD / ADHD.  We're very frustrated and lost.  just wondering how you and other parents in similar situations handle.....
Video games greatly decrease the capacity to pay attention and focus. They are highly addictive. We had the same problem with our 8 year old (lack of focus etc) and began to limit his video game time and TV time to 30 minutes each per day. His grades almost immediately went up and he has not had a problem focusing or paying attention since. He is also his old sweet self again. We never let him play anything violent, but any kind of video game creates a "rut" in the brain that only wants to be filled with games and cause behavior changes. Try limiting them - it worked for us!