Parenting Children (6-12) Community
6 year old tantrums

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

6 year old tantrums

My daughter is 6  years old and she's having tantrums everytime she needs to get dressed. In the morning and when changing into pjs. It's really getting impossible to deal with, She doesn't like anything, mean while she use to wear all of it before. She can't decide or she doesn't like it. Now she wants to wear her 2 year old brothers clothes and I will not allow it. We have tried to ignore it, but unless I get really angry about it (which occurs after 45 minutes of tring to convince her to move on) does she actually get dressed. Even after getting dressed by me, she is kicking and screaming for another 15 to 20 minutes. I don't think its a sensor issue, because she has worn these clothes before. She use to complain about certain items like her pants, then her underwear, than her T-shirt, then her shirt and now everything. But I replaced her clothing to stuff she would wear. She has helped me pick it out too. Now it's just nuts. PLEASE HELP!!!!! Is she spoiled. Am I giving her too many choices? or Is this really serious?

Most children do not like to be rushed and the morning scramble often becomes stressful  ,for  them and parents , a good idea is to get up earlier and let them have plenty of time adjusting from bed to getting ready for school. Have her lay out her clothes the night before, when you say she wants to wear her 2 year old brothers clothes what clothes are you speaking about as they can hardly fit her and she would look a bit silly at school?I agree that I think you are feeding into it, and if she has plenty of time and her clothes are set out you leave her to get on with it and dont get involved as this could escalate her into a Tantrum, less words . Good luck
My daughter is almost 6 and is having the same issues.  I already buy her all cotton outfits but she will wear them a couple times and then complain that they feel weird or hurt.  I am also at my wits end!  I do not at all agree with Margypops that you are feeding into it.  Unless you're a parent with this sort of problem, you have no idea.  I have tried everything possible, having her put on 1 piece of clothing at time, buying her all different kinds of shoes and socks, having her pick out her own clothes, etc.  Nothing works!! I have been reading up on tactile sensitivity and I believe that is what my daughter has.  There is a link that explains her to a Tee: http://www.suite101.com/content/tactile-sensory-integration-disorder-a207895... I also have been looking into clothing for tactile sensitivity..I have found 2 sites so far: tereskids.com and softclothing.net..Although these clothes are a bit more expensive..I think it is definitely worth a shot!!  Hope this helps and thank you for letting me know I am not the only parent dealing with this.