Parenting Children (6-12) Community
6 year old with sleep problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

6 year old with sleep problems

<y 6 year old grandaughter, who does not live with me, is having major problems with sleeping at night.  Her parents have not been strict with her about this, but they are desperate for a solution.  She will not go to sleep by herself and when she awakes she will not go back to bed.  There is major crying, screaming etc. and no matter what they try, it doesn't work.  She will not stay in her room and will not leave them alone when they try to ignore it all with hopes that no reaction will do the trick. They are trying charts with rewards for good sleeping and have also tried punishment, all to no avail. She seems to be impervious to anything they do.  This has been going on periodically her entire life but has now reached crisis proportions.  It should have been dealt with years ago but it wasn't .  She has settled on saying that she is frightened to be alone at night, and I think she beleives it at this point.   It has also spread to her being afraid to go to school, but this is not as out of control as the sleep situation.   All of this disturbs the sleep of her 2 year old brother as well.  They need help badly.  Any suggestions?  If they need to see a therapist are there any recommendations for a good one near Hartford CT?  Thank you so much. I will pass this site along to her so that she can correspond directly.