Parenting Children (6-12) Community
7 year and problems with bowel movement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

7 year and problems with bowel movement

My 7 year old son has for several years now had problems with bowel movement.  He refuses to go unless he is made to.  He may only go once or twice a week and his stools are very compact, hard and large.  I have gone to see my doctor and was told to use a softener... however this has not helped, i have raised this problem again with another doctor who said give him a book & more encouragement.. this i have already done before being advised to!!  He often has smears in this underwear because he fights to go but desperately needs to and it seeps out.  He permanently has a hard belly and i think he is very compacted... when he does go he does say it hurts and you can tell by his facial expressions it does.  However this does not make him think to stop holding onto it. I am also concerned as i am seeing a pattern of very bad behaviour from him and by the end of the day he shows all the signs he is in urgent need of a bowel movement but still wont go.. i then have to force him to sit there, he eventually goes and his behaviour will improve... can hoarding of stools cause any toxic reactions to the body/brain or could his bad behaviour be just him using all his resource to not go and he is not able to concentrate on anything else?? any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
sounds rough.  have you tried any mild laxatives to help him.  Like maybe give him 1 and let him see how it feels to go and not have it hurt?
my son was like this for a few months.  it sounds gross, but I gave him a fleet glycerin suppository....well, i let him insert it and it worked. he learned how to go without it hurting
and in the future, it helped, because when he was having trouble going, we just allow him to take 1 of them.
let me know if this helps.
Another vote for the glycerine suppositories - but, to motivate him to stop witholding, you should warn him that you'll put a suppository in him everytime he doesn't do a smelly on the lavatory for three whole days.
There's a definite link between bad behavior, and autointoxication resulting from constipation.  Look up Dr Kurt Woeller's article on autism.  My parents knew about this link and that's why they were so strict about their daughters' bowel functions.
I have had this problem with my 7 year old daughter since she was an infant. I've tried everything made for children. Nothing has really worked well. I have most recently started to monitor her fiber intake. I am adding fiber rich foods anywhere I can. Blueberries are especially effective. She is finally having regular bowel movements. In her case (which could be the same as your son) it is always painful for her to go so she just tries not to. Now that her stool is getting more loose it doesn't hurt and the problem is resolving. Just keep an eye on the dietary fiber...you don't want to give him too loose of stool either. Good Luck!