7 year old afraid of thunderstorms, wind, clouds etc...
Should we leave the pool if my if my 7 year old starts to see clouds, wind etc?  He is afraid of thunderstorms.
How do we help him with this phobia?
well storms should be avoided if in water so I agree get out of the pool , has he been frightened at any time by it ?
easy u have to make him face his fears ... u have to explain what is happening and help him understand that it's only a sound ... bzw th irony is that your name is thunder 108
He probably would be helped by some education from a scientific source about thunder, lightning and storms.  Obviously, not every cloudy day will produce a thunderstorm, and education is a really helpful tool when dealing with phobias.  It is valid to be worried about lightning in some geographic locations -- have you ever watched the college baseball finals in Omaha?  They have to clear the field if lightning is in the vicinity, even if it is quite a ways away, for a half hour.  Something about Nebraska in the summer makes the lightning storms very unpredictable.  Look up books on the phenomenon, (thunderstorms, that is) and read him the parts about how rain, wind and clouds do not automatically equate to thunder and lightning.

Another way to help a child with a phobia is through therapy.  But I would start with education.  

The main thing is, if you can ease him out of this now, it won't be a lifetime fear.  

ps -- Don't angrily tell him there is nothing to be afraid of.  This doesn't help, when someone is phobic.  

i agree with anniebrooke education is key
I agree as well-----------  A.  always get out of a pool if you hear thunder.  That isn't a phobia, that is being safe.  Any pubic pool makes you get out at the sound of thunder and has a waiting period before you can get back in of typically 30 or so minutes.  And our pool makes you leave the deck area completely.  

B.  there are so many great books on weather.  You can build his interest in it which will make it less of a frightening thing and more of something to be fascinated by.  

good luck