Parenting Children (6-12) Community
7 year old having problems in school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

7 year old having problems in school

I have a seven year old son who I have been having problems with since preschool.  He always is having trouble with the other children and cannot get along with them. He says things like "Everyone is mean to me" "I wasn't doing anything to him/her they just walked over and started being mean".  He rarely admits that something was possibly  his fault.  Even when confronted with facts such as his father or I telling him "we saw you go over to Tommy and Jim and take the ball from them" he will respond with something like "That's not true! You just didn't see it!  They were being mean to me first!"  His teachers over the years have ALL had to put him on a special modified behavior plan of some kind.  In preschool he had a chart with pictures and if he made a bad choice he'd have to find the picture that showed the right choice.  In Kindergarten he was sent home with a weekly report and now in 1st grade he is sent home with a daily report where the day is split out into quarters and he works on two behaviors at a time so he has a possibility of 8 points a day.  He earns privileges on the weekends based on how many points he got during the week.  None of these things have encouraged him to do better.  He also has a raging temper where he will turn red and clench his fists and literally be shaking and sometimes even yells things such as "STOP STOP STOP" when you are trying to talk to him.  He lies to us often about even the most silly things.  Even if he knows we saw him do it.  He tells us that other people are lying about him (including his teacher and his principal at school) just to get him in trouble.  I'm really at my wits end with him. I no longer know what to do.  Punishments have had no effect, rewards have had no effect.  I'm concerned that something may be seriously wrong with him. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.