Parenting Children (6-12) Community
7yr.old controles his friends

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

7yr.old controles his friends

How can I help my child?  
  If my child doesn't get the reaction or the attention he wants from another child (friendship) he will lash out in an angry manner and say things like "I'm not your friend". When asked why he felt the need to say that he will make up a false reason, He will tell me that the child said something very mean to him. when the other child is confronted with this it is then that my son will tell us that it was not true at all.My husband and I have tried many ways to help him understand that this is not the way to make friends.My child is much larger than most kids his age he is also above average academically (top student in his class). He just has trouble socially It is like he doesn't know how to act. He is very into a lot of sports and seems to have no problem there. It's just on a more personal level that he lacks the know how.  Should I be worried? Are there any suggestions?  Many thanks.
I would let him have some older friends if that is available.  I was a little bigger and a lot smarter than most people my age, in fact I never got along with any one my age.  All of my friends now are 2 or 3+ years older than I am.  It just may be that he is the same way.  See how he reacts if he is around 8 or 9 year olds and if he gets along better with them.  Also if he hangs out with older kids they arent going to be as likley to let him push them around, they would probably look at him like pfsh.. are you serious?
Thanks for the comment. You are right,  he does get along better with older kids. That is all there is in the neighborhood. Perhaps that is one of the reasons he has so many problems with kids his own age. There is still the issue at school though. You did help me put things into perspective. Instead of worrying that there may be something wrong with him I will just have to accept the fact he is not like kids his own age. Thanks.  
How old were you before realized this is how you had to pick your friends and was able to shrug it off your shoulders that you just were not suited to kids your own age??
Really I dont know that there was ever a serious relization for me, it was just kind of the way things are.  When I was growing up I hung out with my neighbor who was several years older than me and the same when I moved to Utan and back to Idaho.   In public school I didnt get to hang out with the older kids as much but when I got to high school it was pretty easy to do.  Mostly I just hung out after school with the kids in the neighborhoods or even adults.  By late middle school and early high school some of my closest friends were some of the adults that I worked with when I volenteered or at my church.  But then age has never meaned much to me, almost no one acts their own "age" and I kind of figured that out young.  I mean right now as of today my 2 best friends in the world are 15 and 23.