Parenting Children (6-12) Community
8 Year old with tantrums

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

8 Year old with tantrums

Hi, my Daughter is 8 years old and my middle child (I have 3 daughters).  I have recently had another baby (she is 4months old) and from when she was about 2months old, my 8 year old has been having tantrums when told to do something.  She gets very vocal and at times reverts to being a baby in her speech (referring me to Mommy instead of Mom).  I am very concerned by this as she doesn't seem to snap out of it, I have even tried putting her in her room and other methods featured on programmes but nothing works.

I don't know what to do, I am getting very depressed as trying to cope with a new baby, sleepness nights, being there for my eldest daughter who is 10 and trying to do everyday things.

I need some help to try and combat this before things get out of control.
Tags: tantrums
Try giving her extra , more attention, the fact she is using a baby voice tells you she sees baby getting ,obviously, more attention and wants some of it. Possibly she has been the one who got a lot of attention now with the Baby theres only so much to go around, get Dad involved playing Games, with her, kids of this age love board games, maybe let Dad look after the 4 month old, and you play with the girls. monopoly ,,scrabble, are favorites.I have also found that Sharades goes down well, they love to act.You have a lot on your plate..it does get better.... honestly.
Thankyou for your comments and I will try them out to see.  I know that Im not the only one who goes through these times, but it sometimes feels like it.
I was breastfeeding my Baby but she has sort of decided that she doesn't want it now, so hopefully I will have more time to spend with my 8 year old.
Thankyou very much and I see how it goes.
PS Make sure you get out to relax with out the little treasues.... Mom and Dad deserve some time off to be big people get a babysitter or family and have some down time together...