Parenting Children (6-12) Community
8 year old threaten suicide

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

8 year old threaten suicide

My son (5) and my daughter are constantly at each other.  My daughter is very argumentative.  If its white she will argue its black until the other gives up.  She can't "talk" its always screaming.  She is the one who always gets caught hitting or kicking her brother.  I know that he instigates it but he always ends up hurt.  My son is at home until next year (kindergarten)  Daughter feels like we love him more.  I can't stand it.  I get so worked up and find myself yelling all day when she is around b.c she NEVER listens.  I can tell her to brush her teeth 15 times before she actually does it.  She is extremely smart, top in her class, great at sports and has a ton of friends.  Today she started as soon as she got off the bus teasing her brother that she had ice cream in school and that he can't have any.  So I had told her that her comment canceled our plans to get get ice cream tonight, just the two of us.  She then told me she was going to kill herself as she had the front wheel of her bike hanging over the retaining wall.  I didn't know what to say so I just said your not allowed and walked inside.  I didn't want to reward the behaivor but yet I know its serious.  She is so much fun to be around when my son is not here. but the moment he is here her behavior is out of control.  Do I consult a psychologist?
Yes.  This week, I'd say.  You're yelling all day, is enough of a reason.  You need to work on the entire dynamic and a therapist will be a big, big help.  Good luck, you'll get past this, it will take work and time but it can get better.
She needs consequences to her behavior, no TV no computer, if she does without something she really likes she may think twice. Do not give way..It does sound as if she is out of control when she threatens to kill herself, and some therapy does sound a good idea .