Parenting Children (6-12) Community
9 year old acts like a 5 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

9 year old acts like a 5 year old

I am finding that my 9 year old daughter acts like a 5 year old. , she talks in a baby voice, throws tantums, has trouble socialising at an appropiate age level, talks at a loud level an doesn;t know when to be quiet and needs help with the simple things like having a shower, brushing her teeth.
She has also started developing (very early)  and I don't think she is mature enough to handle the situation.
My wife and I divorced and I have since remarried , my 9 year old lives with me and my new partner and she also has a 6 year old sister who lives with her mother.
The 9 year old spends a fair bit of time with her sister on the weekends when she visits her mother or when her sister visits us , could this be the problem.
It sounds as if your daughter is trying to get more attention and has realised that younger children, ie the other child she spends alot of time with, do get more attention, I dont think there is a 'problem' focus on her positive side and praise her when you se her doing something right, when she throws tantrums what was happening preceding the tantrum, she is acting out so dont feed into it but give her the attention ,do more in the way of activities walks and Parks and Fun.