Parenting Children (6-12) Community
9 year old girl is still pooping her pants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting children (age 6-12), including physical development, handling school & classes, emotional development, cognitive development, and games and activities.

We have a 9 year old girl who was potty trained by four, a little late I know.My wife was in a divorce with her former husband at the time. I believe this is why it took so long. I met my wife a while latter and I believe it was about six months to a year later when her daughter started pooping her pants. We were at a convention about 120 miles from home on the way back my wifes oldest daughter complained of pains and she had this accident. My wife and I were baffled and thought it was a one time thing but we found very quickly that it was an everyday issue. We immedialty took her to the pediatrician who said this was simple constipation she prescribed Myralax, this did not work. We went back and she said she was backed up and prescribed myralax again. The problem continued and my wife was forced to use an enima. This seemed to help but was very painful for both my wife and her daughter. we then believed that it was laziness, as the distraction of playing was worth more then the urge of a movement. we assigned consequence or punishments, we cried, we yelled, we made her wash her panties, we spent time on the internet researching the issue and we always come up with this"encorperisis" we realize stress could play a factor from the seperation and my wife and I have also addressed the issue of sexual abuse. This of course makes me feel uncomfortable as I am the only man in a house of 4 girls. My wife trusts me totaly but we have had one of the in laws bring me up as the possibilty. I believe this is understandlable and have offered to take the daughter down for an exam. This was about two years since then the issue passed; until tonight. Apparently one of the teachers in the fourth grade has been smelling the poop. She decided today to get the principle invovled, so we got a phone call from the school today saying that they are informing social services of the matter. "this is procedure" This also is understandable but I feel beet up on this issue it has been going on for four or more years. I have informed my wife that we need to take the daughter back to the doctor for the same old thing and maybe have her examined for sexual abuse. This to me seems like a good idea for both the protection of our daughter and myself, as all the grandparents as well as my wife and I have already exhausted this issue. According to our 9 year old girl no one has ever touched her inappropriatly, and she has never seen a boy naked. She does not get abuse and we have nothing to hide. Does anyone know what we should do?